Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ask and HE will give it to you! Is this real?

Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. 9"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

==================================

I have seen this scripture for years and sometimes I find it hard to believe. You mean all I have to do is ask? Okay then, where is my money, fame and riches? Why didn't my favorite team win? Why is my friend still sick?

For years I thought this was the blank check to get whatever "I" wanted, but after closer examination I see this scripture, like all scripture, is associated with GOD. Anything associated to GOD has to have a pure motive.

When my motive is selfish then my prayer isn't heard. "Wait a minute", you say... I pray "for" people and it seems like they aren't getting "their" way. It still comes back to motive. I have prayed for people and haven't believed in the thing I was praying for.

When I hear GOD say "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; Knock and the door will be opened to you" I hear a message that is no longer paved with greed or lust. So what does GOD want? GOD wants every human to be saved. HE wants the well being of every human on this planet.

  • When I ask for a person to be saved and that it is not necessary for me to see their salvation, GOD gives it to me in abundance.
  • When I ask for my heart to be changed towards the person I am angry with, HE gives it to me in abundance.
  • When I ask for better relationships with family and friends, GOD gives it to me in abundance.
  • When I ask for GOD to supply all my "needs", GOD gives it to me in abundance.

The problem is sometimes I can't separate "needs" from "wants." A "desire" pops in my head and then it may turn into an "expectation." When I expect to get my selfish desire then I get disappointed with GOD when HE remains silent. I pout for a while and then I blame GOD for not listening.

Now I see it... GOD knows that if I get my selfish way I would continue to move away from HIM. The more money I have, the more lavish my lifestyle becomes. After a while I judge “who” are my "true friends" or I judge who gets “some” of my money, or I judge my family’s’ motives asking "do they love me or my money?"

Now this isn't about living a poor life barely existing, but it “is” about motive.

  • If GOD sees a good steward of finances, HE will bless that person with more to distribute to HIS people.
  • IF HE sees a humble person who points their actions to CHRIST, then HE will grant miracles of healing.
  • If HE sees faith in a person then HE will show them more and more of the future which always points to GOD.

Then I read "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you." Finally, I get it. "Asking" is yet another tool for me to have better relationships with people. When I "ask" for the best for others, GOD blesses me and grows their faith.

  • Do you think GOD hears you?
  • Check your prayer... Is it all about "you" or about your relationships?
  • Do you really believe GOD will supply your "needs?"
  • Do you need the thing you have been asking for all this time?
  • Do you have bad thoughts about how GOD answers prayers?

No comments:

Post a Comment