Friday, January 15, 2010

"Do Not Worry?" You've got to be kidding!

Matthew 6:25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

==============================

In the past I used to try to avoid the person who would say "Don't worry" when I felt like panicking. "How can they say DON'T WORRY? They don't know what I'm going through!", I would think to myself. Then, in my worried state, I would seek people who would cave in to my worries and tell me that I am right for worrying.

This group of worriers would say "Aw, that's ashamed!" or "There, there." I would look around and find myself with a group of worried people after a while. Each of us sharing our worry stories and feeling defeated and sorry.

Then I ran across this scripture and guess what... I felt worse! I thought at first, "How dare GOD say Don't Worry! Of course HE doesn't have to worry, HE's GOD, nothing can harm HIM." I know a lot of people who have felt this way.

There are so many things to worry about, especially here in the US. We worry about big things like terrorism, economic stability, unemployment and divorce. We worry about little things like tattered clothes, broken gadgets and eating the same thing again.

I had to sit and think "What does GOD mean, Don't Worry?"

GOD did an amazing thing when HE made "choice". HE allowed the difficulties of life to occur, while still caring for and protecting HIS humans. HE knows this planet is cursed because HE is the one who cursed it. HE also knows we have to live in a world where sin and sickness abide with HIS love. So what does this have to do with my worries?

GOD gave me HIS Bible and in it are words of comfort. HE knows that there will be times that I will worry.

  • When I worry, HE says, "remember all of the times I have brought you through the troubles of the past."
  • GOD sees me in a panic and HE reminds me that HE is still here and HE is NOT punishing me each time something is wrong in my life.
  • GOD sees my needs, wants and desires and HE guides me to safety each time.

My memory of the times GOD brought me out of trouble is a "tool" that I call the "Don't Worry Tool." Here is how it works:

  • When I am worried about life, think about how GOD rescued me in the past.
  • When I doubt GOD will do "this" for me, review HIS promises to me.
  • When it looks like no one will help me, I help someone.
  • When I am overwhelmed, I stop, slow down and sit until I can realize that it is life attacking, not GOD.

GOD wants what is best for me. When I worry, I don't believe HE wants me to have the best. I second guess "HIM" and "HIS relationship" with me. My faith dissipates and blame rises. In my worries, I hide and cower and people who see me, see defeat.

When I use the "Do Not Worry" tool, people see GOD. They see victory over circumstance and their faith grows.

  • What are you worrying about?
  • Are you doubting that GOD, who can instantly change things, can change your situation?
  • Can you believe in HIS process?
  • Can you wait on HIS timing?

No comments:

Post a Comment