Monday, January 11, 2010

Help somebody today for one day "you" may need help.

Matthew 6:1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

=================================

When I read this, I notice that GOD assumes that I am going to give to the needy. HE says "When" you give to the needy, not "if." I find this interesting because GOD knows there will be needy people.

GOD says "The poor you will always have." I find this statement difficult to swallow. I mean, HE is GOD isn't HE? Can't HE just give people mansions and money here on earth? What about all these scriptures on prosperous living? Don't they apply to everyone?

As I sat and pondered this, I realized that GOD has a purpose for each and every human that points to HIS glory. Now how can a poor person point to GOD's glory? Well, I don't have all the answers, but I do know when I help someone in need the "right way" they praise GOD, not me.

I can't answer all the questions of why some people have more than others. Why the rich and greedy seem to get more and more and the poor and hungry seem to get what little they have taken away from them. But I can read passages like this and understand that GOD expects me to help somebody.

What is funny about helping people is you never know when "you" will be on the receiving end. I know this personally. One day I felt like the richest person in the world, then the economy went in the tank and I found myself needing life’s necessities. Fortunately we were blessed very well by GOD and HE has provided all of our needs.

But what about those who are still in need? What about those who are still out of work? What about the teenager who is homeless? Well, guess what... this is where I come in. Yes, it is up to me to help at least one needy person get on their feet.

Wow, that sounds like a lot of effort, can't I just give to my church and be done with it? Or how about giving to an organization, won't that do it? I guess these avenues are great, but how about knowing the person’s name that you are giving to so you can include a prayer with the support you are sending.

I believe it's time to meet with people face to face and give them what they need. Once I have done this, I can't run around and brag about it. GOD has a reward HE wants to give me for serving one of HIS humans. The minute I brag about what I did, the reward get's sent to earth in the form of a compliment from other humans.

Now GOD's riches are incredible and to have my reward turn into empty earthly praise seems ridiculous. Instead, I am to help people without fanfare, thanks or pats on the back. I should help people because they need it.

  • I shouldn't judge "if" they need it.
  • I shouldn't judge how the person got where they got.
  • I shouldn't judge what the person does with my gift.

I should just give.

  • Do you know someone in need today?
  • Can you reach out to help someone?
  • Are "you" in need today? (GOD hears you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment