Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Real prayer considers yourself "and" others.

Matthew 6: 5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

9"This, then, is how you should pray: " Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11Give us this day our daily bread.
12And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. '

14For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
NIV / KJV

=================================

I believe prayer changes us not GOD. This entire existence on earth has pleasure and pain. GOD knows exactly what I am going through. HE knows my embarrassments, and my strengths. HE knows what trouble I will go through before I get there.

GOD did something special for me. HE placed HIS HOLY SPIRIT inside me when I believed. Now the HOLY SPIRIT prays and communicates to the FATHER daily in words I cannot understand. I guess HE did this so I would come to HIM in the right way instead of demanding things I don't need.

But when it comes to prayer here on earth, GOD wants me to transform my thinking. When praying for others, I must do it in secret so that I cannot brag that it was my prayer that changed the circumstance. I know I like to feel special, but GOD wants to be the center of attention.

I have heard this prayer all my life and I never noticed the prayer uses "us" quite a bit. I thought the prayer was about "me", not "us." Then GOD goes on to say I have to "forgive others." Wait, you mean this is a prayer about our relationships? YES! Praying changes our mind about others.

When we pray for others:

  • We forget about our circumstances.
  • We mend broken relationships.
  • We change our heart to want the best for others.
  • We get rewards from GOD in heaven.
  • We have peace.

Prayer is a "tool" that GOD has given us to comfort us. Prayer lifts the burdens and gives them to GOD. I truly don't know what I would do without prayer!

  • Are you able to pray for "that" person?
  • Can you wish the best for others when you aren't getting the best?
  • Are you going through circumstances that only GOD knows how deep your pain runs?
  • Do you believe GOD hears you?

No comments:

Post a Comment