Thursday, January 14, 2010

Scary "heart" test results!

Matthew 6:19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light, 23 but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

============================


I can be more selfish than the best. There are times when I want the worlds finest things. I see the shiny cars and the lavish vacations and I just get excited! Then I read a passage like this and I get as sad as the "rich young ruler" who, when told by JESUS to sell everything, went away sad.

I had to test my heart to see if I am truly generous. Here is my initial test:

  • Do I give? Yes
  • Do I tithe? Yes

I'm alright... right? Well, maybe not. As I read this a little closer, I can give but have the wrong heart. If I am giving for tax purposes only, then the action still relates to where my heart is... focused on money!

The action has to me matched with the heart. I do remember giving to reduce my taxes, now I realize that there is a human on the other side of the giving. The person who receives my giving gets blessed for the time being.

I went to meet some of these people in countries around the world and when I actually shook hands with them and saw their homes falling to the ground, my heart changed.

I lost my desire for the latest gadget, shoe or other status symbol. I can attest that it is impossible to serve two masters. I was conflicted many times when I wanted the stuff and wanted to serve GOD's people. It seemed like HE inevitably would put someone in need in front of me just when I wanted to be selfish.

Now I am not saying its bad to have things. I am saying that its bad to let things have me. When I never look up to help anyone, then that's a problem. I think there needs to be balance. I always tell my family three things to do with money.

  • Save some - Wow I am glad the LORD had us do this because rainy days have been plentiful over the years!
  • Spend some - I noticed that I was a "bitter" giver when I tried to give all my possessions away. GOD wants excitement when I give so I had to learn to treat myself on occasion.
  • Give to the LORD - This can be done in a couple of forms... The most popular is tithing 10% (gross or net you figure it out). The next is giving directly to people (I like this one but it really should be done in secret).

We should adopt a balance in out life. When any of the three principles I've listed are out of balance, I can quickly tell.

  • When I am saving too much I start judging people in need.
  • When I am spending too much my worries grow.
  • When I am giving too much to the LORD... wait, too much to the LORD?! Yes, when I am giving too much to the LORD, I become bitter and demanding of GOD. I start asking "Why me?" I get feisty with GOD and demand my way out of the trial.

GOD wants me to be balanced while abiding my time on earth. It’s not bad to have possessions, just give some to someone in need on occasion. You will be surprised how GOD gets excited when you do!

  • Are you giving to GOD and mad at GOD?
  • Is there someone in need you can help right now? (perhaps in another country)
  • Do you have to have "that" thing or can you do without it for a little while longer?

No comments:

Post a Comment