Monday, January 4, 2010

Your "Attitude" is important!

Matthew 5
The Sermon on the Mount
1Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him.The Beatitudes
2And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:
3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
5"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
6"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
7"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
8"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
9"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
10 "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 "Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

==============================

When I read this I realize JESUS is telling me to pay attention to my attitude. Attitude is more important than the action. JESUS sets the tone for one of the most impactful sermons anyone has ever given. HE teaches HIS disciples to deal with other humans from the heart.

HE tells them and me what excites HIM.

  • Poor in SPIRIT - Selfless nature.
  • Morning - Looking forward to being in GOD's total comfort.
  • Hunger and thirst for righteousness - Not a friend to sin.
  • Merciful - Knowing someone is wrong and not judging.
  • Pure in heart - Believing JESUS is GOD and HIS death / resurrection saves.
  • Peacemakers - Focused on winning souls not arguments.
  • Persecuted for righteousness' sake - Follows what GOD says no matter what.

I can see JESUS wants me to focus on others and the big picture. I like winning arguments and competitive events. The world would never call me a loser! BUT GOD says, let the world think one way about me and HE will see me as a winner.

I feared reducing my winning competitive nature would enable people to run all over me. Now I see that GOD would not let this happen. HE promises that if I reduce my will, HE would be able to bless me. That's right, my will can get in the way of GOD.

  • HE said I would be part of the kingdom of heaven.
  • HE said I would be comforted.
  • HE said I would inherit my portion of the earth.
  • HE said I would be satisfied.
  • HE said I would receive mercy.
  • HE said I would see HIM.
  • HE said I would be HIS Son.
  • HE said I would be part of the kingdom (yes HE said it twice).
  • HE said I would have great rewards in heaven.

Now it's up to me to believe what HE said. I can walk around miserable on this planet or I can believe HE promiosed all of this for me and focus my attitude on what HE wants me to be.

  • How is your attitude today?
  • Are you drawing people towards GOD or away from HIM?
  • Are you having more arguments and conflict with people?
  • Do you feel you need to be heard all the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment