Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Do not be afraid! HE will calm things down.

Mark 4:35That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side." 36Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. 37A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. 38Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?"
39He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.

40He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?"

41They were terrified and asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!"

==================================

I used to wonder why the same story was in the Bible more than once. Didn't I just read this? But now I see that GOD wanted to give me a different perspective on the same event.

Mark writes a very simple account of JESUS sleeping while in a boat with HIS disciples. The boat looked like it was going to sink and everyone would drown.

The miracle seems to me is how could JESUS sleep through that?

They got scared and woke JESUS up. Then they were frightened even more when JESUS calmed the storm. I guess I have to focus on the question posed by JESUS, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?"

Why were the disciples afraid? Well, let me see... Oh yeah, they were on the brink of death! They had left their family and friends in hopes that they would strike it big. They thought this man, JESUS, would build a kingdom on earth and they would be some high official.

Instead, they were told to serve 5000 men which was probably 20,000 people counting women and children. They were told to not follow the churchy people, but everyone else seemed like they were following them. Now they are in a boat and the one person who was supposed to lead them is asleep.

"Don't YOU care?" is what I have asked GOD at times. BUT GOD already knew the storm was coming. HE knew they would be in turmoil before HE went to sleep. HE knows exactly what I am going through and HE wants my trust.

"Why are you so afraid?" Good question. I had to ask myself, "Why am I so afraid?"

  • I'm afraid of what people "think" of me. GOD says I think only good thoughts about you.
  • I'm afraid of losing my stuff. GOD says, I will supply "all" of your needs.
  • I'm afraid of being laughed at. GOD says, let them laugh, they won't like what's coming later.
  • I'm afraid of failing. GOD says, the only failure is not trying.

GOD is amazing. HE knows when the storms are on their way. I sometimes think HE tosses in a storm or two HIMSELF, just to keep humans from getting too prideful and running too far away from HIM.

The next question hurts a little, "Do you still have no faith?" Wow, after everything GOD has brought me through, I still get scared. After everything my parents have gone through, they still get worried. After everything my grandma went through, she still get's worried. (yeah she's very old!)

Humans worry, BUT GOD doesn't scold us, rather HE uses these pointed words to get our attention. Faith doesn't come from looking ahead, rather it comes from looking back.

  • When I look back at the times GOD brought me out of danger, my faith grows.
  • When I look back on the times HE healed me, my faith grows.
  • When I look back on the many blessings HE has given me, my faith grows.

JESUS asks a fair question "Do you 'still' have no faith?" In other words, after all you have seen and been through, are you "still" focused on the things of this world? After all MY teaching and miracles are you still afraid?

HE knows we are going to get frightened about our situations. HE wants us to calm down and remember.

  • When you rush to GOD in a panic, what are you expecting HIM to do?
  • Do you believe HE can calm the "storms" of your life?
  • Are you concerned about what people think about you rather than what GOD thinks about you?
  • Do you know HIS main desire is for you to "trust" that HE knows what HE is doing even in the storms?

No comments:

Post a Comment