Friday, February 12, 2010

First of all, become servants of all.

Mark 9:33 Then He came to Capernaum. And when He was in the house He asked them, “What was it you disputed among yourselves on the road?” 34 But they kept silent, for on the road they had disputed among themselves who would be the greatest. 35 And He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, “If anyone desires to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all.” 36 Then He took a little child and set him in the midst of them. And when He had taken him in His arms, He said to them, 37 “Whoever receives one of these little children in My name receives Me; and whoever receives Me, receives not Me but Him who sent Me.”

==============================

Does anyone ever get tired of being told to serve? Well sometimes I do. I want to be served instead of doing all of the serving. I want to be the top of the heap and have those on the bottom serve me.

Sound selfish? Well I could say that's just the way it is and no one can do anything about it. BUT GOD shapes me and points me to HIM. HE tells me the ONLY greatness that is important in HIS eyes is when I serve someone. But what if I don't feel like serving the person or what if the person makes it difficult for me to serve them?

I guess that's why GOD pulled a little child from the crowd instead of an adult. The child's qualities are "blind trust" coupled with "no fear" because they don't know any better. A little child can be told something and believe it and act accordingly while adults are tainted, scared and cynical.

Okay, so I tried this "servant" thing with my family first to see if it would work. I served them in chores and "being there." Guess what, it worked! My family responds positively when I serve them.

I wonder what would happen if I serve the neighbors? So I tried it and guess what happened, they not only responded positively, they were able to hear that GOD has a SON who volunteered to die in my place.

Wow! This is amazing. I wonder what would happen if I took this attitude to another place in the world. Would I get the same results? I went to other countries and served them. I saw people running towards GOD in numbers you would never believe!

Okay, maybe this servant thing isn't about "me." GOD wants me to serve people with a purpose. Now my purpose for serving people is to point people to CHRIST.

I used to get tired serving people, but now I realize that when I serve them, they have a much greater chance of believing than when I expect them to serve me.

  • When I serve, people respond to GOD.
  • When I serve, it provides an example to show others how to serve.
  • When I serve, satisfaction grows in me after seeing a person become whole.
  • When I serve, GOD is excited, especially when I don't look for pats on the back.
  • When I serve with a purpose, I don't get tired of serving!

GOD is very clear that HE loves it when I serve HIS children. HIS kids are sometimes 50, 60 and 80 years old. When I serve people just because GOD wants me to, I get great rewards!

  • Why do you want to be served?
  • Can you serve someone else today?
  • Are you worn out from serving?
  • Are you serving for the right purpose?
  • Can you drop the fear and prejudice long enough to become like a child and trust GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment