Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What are you "looking" for?

Mark 13:32"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 33Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come. 34It's like a man going away: He leaves his house and puts his servants in charge, each with his assigned task, and tells the one at the door to keep watch.

35"Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back—whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. 36If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. 37What I say to you, I say to everyone: 'Watch!' "

====================================

Hope. What a funny word. It seems like it can be lost and found. I know I have lost hope many times and it did not seem like things were going the way I had planned.

When I plan things out, I see exactly how I want everything to work. I can envision the outcome and get excited about executing my plan. But sometimes my plans keep me from doing the main thing GOD wants me to do namely, look for HIS return.

GOD said to "Be on guard! and Be alert!" HE never said to stop living but keep one eye on my life and one eye on HIS. To "Be on guard" means to know what could go wrong in life. It means to have a healthy view of life that things will go wrong and we are not supposed to fall to pieces.

When I believed that JESUS died in place of me because of my sins, I became an enemy of Satan. GOD allows him to tempt and taunt humans with the pleasures of this world. Many times I saw the nice shiny things of the world and I took my eyes off of GOD.

GOD wants us to remain focused on HIM and our eternal life. BE on guard against taking your eye off the prize.

The next thing GOD says is to "Be alert!" Being alert means things can change any moment. I can be praising GOD one minute and questioning HIS actions the next. I have to be ready to put into action the things I have learned about HIM at a moment’s notice.

That person could say the wrong thing or do the thing you despise the most. By being alert, I can control my actions "when" things blow up. It means I need to be prepared to hand out grace and mercy at a moment’s notice.

I sin and so do you and I know the HE will return soon. I keep thinking to myself, "When the last second ticks away, what would I like GOD to catch me doing?"

Imagine GOD returning during that argument, or lust filled thought or deceitful act. I cringe just thinking about GOD returning in the middle of my sin. The problem is sometimes I get too comfortable being here on earth and I don't think HE is ever going to return.

I have heard people say that CHRIST would not return for them in their lifetime and I say they are crazy. JESUS said plainly that HE is going to return and we are to watch for the signs of HIS return. The more comfortable I get on this planet, the less I watch for HIS return.

  • When I watch for GOD my arguments are shorter.
  • When I watch for GOD my sense of urgency goes up regarding telling people about HIS SON.
  • When I watch for GOD I never get comfortable with the things of this world.

GOD knows the pleasures of life can blind me. Once I get a taste of these pleasures HE knows I will struggle to stay focused on HIM. It’s not that HE wants me to be boring and never enjoy life, rather HE wants me to know that this life is temporary.

I should trust that HE is building an eternal life for me that includes a "never ending" growth of excitement with each day being better than the last. This should be the thing I am "looking" for. But while I am still on earth, I should be looking to love HIS humans and point my life to HIM.

  • What are you seeking in life?
  • Are you working hard just to make ends meet?
  • Are you putting all of your time towards achievement or title?
  • Have you tasted the pleasures of this world and desire more?
  • Are you looking up at the stars wondering which day HE will return?

No comments:

Post a Comment