Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Why is it so hard to believe in JESUS?

Mark 16:9When Jesus rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had driven seven demons. 10She went and told those who had been with him and who were mourning and weeping. 11When they heard that Jesus was alive and that she had seen him, they did not believe it.

12Afterward Jesus appeared in a different form to two of them while they were walking in the country. 13These returned and reported it to the rest; but they did not believe them either.

14Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen.

15He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

=================================

I believed that CHRIST was my savior at the age of 12, a few years ago. My reason was because I didn't fit in. Kids in my grade would tease me for my tattered clothes, messed up hair and Clark Kent glasses. Adults seemed to lack direction and my future seemed uncertain.

I heard about JESUS from my parents, but they had their own distractions. Then one day I felt the need to believe in HIM. I can't explain that any better. I went sobbing down the middle of the church toward the preacher as he called for those who believed in JESUS.

I pondered my decision over the years and one thing I realized is I needed someone who would accept me for who I was, not who they wanted me to be. JESUS did just that. HE accepted me in tattered clothes, messed up hair, Clark Kent glasses and skinny body.

I never saw HIM, but I sure felt HIM. But the disciples did see HIM. They walked with HIM for three years and saw all kinds of awesome miracles, yet they did not believe when they were told HE had risen, just as HE said.

I thought about this story and asked," how could they not believe?" I mean HE walked on water, fed thousands of people from scraps, healed countless people and HE raised people from the dead. What's not to believe? Crazy disciples!

Then I looked at my life. There have been many times I didn't believe. I doubted GOD would rescue me out of the situation I was in. I thought HE would not forgive me for "this" sin or "that" sin. I thought HE was punishing me harshly when all along HE was loving me and steering my direction.

Humans have the tendency to try to take control of their lives and situations. We believe that JESUS died for our sins, yet we don't believe HE has the best route for our lives. We pray to steer GOD instead of praying to ask "LORD, what do YOU want?" I have done this many times.

  • Belief in GOD means I know, "HE knows" the best path for my life.
  • Belief in GOD means I can accept the path HE has me on.
  • Belief in GOD means I am not embarrassed or ashamed of being an example for GOD.
  • Belief in GOD means I "know" that I "know" HE loves me with infinite love.

It's amazing that JESUS never gave up on the disciples. I mean HE walked with them day and night, yet they didn't believe. It seems like HE would have thrown up HIS hands and walked away frustrated. HE did tell them about their lack of faith, but HE does something remarkable, HE entrusts them with the most important task of telling the world about HIM.

JESUS never, never, NEVER gives up on those who believe in HIM. HE takes people like me who doubt HIM daily and tells them to simply spread HIS great news of acceptance and redemption. Now that's hope.

  • Do you believe?
  • Are you stuck in steering GOD or steering others?
  • Are you afraid of being an example of GOD?
  • Have you believed in CHRIST and doubted?
  • Does GOD's messages offend you? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment