Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Are you defined by your wealth?

Luke 16:11So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? 12And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else's property, who will give you property of your own?

13"No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

14The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus. 15He said to them, "You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of men, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight.

======================================

Wow, this is a timely message. So many people are struggling financially and feeling rotten about it. I have seen a great portion of my "wealth" go away over the past few years. There are some days when I can say "The LORD gives and the LORD takes away" and there are other days where I say "Oh LORD what are you doing?"

JESUS says plainly that I should not "serve" money. I had to think about this statement. What does serving money look like? Doesn't it take "money" to survive in this world? Yes! GOD understands government, in fact HE is the one who established government and raised up greedy rulers who orchestrate circumstances that are in HIS control.

GOD knows our needs. He also know our desires. Sometimes the two don't match. When we desire riches, we will do anything to "serve" it. Serving wealth means you will do anything it takes to keep the little wealth you have. When I say anything, I mean anything.

As my wealth grew so did my desire to maintain my wealth. I found myself working 14 to 16 hours each day. I thought about work constantly. I would wake up in the middle of the night with a new idea for work. I talked about work on the way to work and I talked about work on the way from work.

When I got home, I would talk about how work was tough and I would unwind so that I would be fresh for work. Now having a good work ethic is not bad, nor is having riches bad. JESUS says "serving" is the problem.

  • I serve money when I take even a paper clip from work thinking "they have plenty."
  • I serve money when I would compromise my values to keep it.
  • I serve money when I put wealth over serving GOD's humans.
  • I serve money when I don't notice people in need.
  • I serve money when I worry about losing my money.
  • I serve money when I am defined by how much I have.
  • I serve money when I am ashamed to not have money.

GOD does not have a problem with people who have money. HE despises those who "love" money. There are all kinds of people in the Bible who used their wealth to further GOD's kingdom.

In this same chapter JESUS illustrates an example of a beggar named Lazarus and a rich man. Lazarus died, went to heaven while the rich man died and went to hell. The rich man spoke to another very rich man named Abraham begging him for relief and never could receive it.

Since GOD does not have a problem with being rich how should I act?

  • When I serve GOD I realize HE has a right to take some or all of my earthly wealth.
  • When I serve GOD I know HE controls how wealthy I should be at a given time.
  • When I serve GOD I give a portion of my wealth to others in need.
  • When I serve GOD I worry less about what people think of me.
  • When I serve GOD I don't brag about having the latest thing.
  • When I serve GOD I see what I have instead of fretting about what I don't have.

GOD wants us to remain focused on "true riches." These are the precious eternal treasures that we store up for ourselves in heaven. I can only get these treasures by not trying to manipulate GOD into making me wealthy on earth. I can only get true riches by serving HIS humans and pointing them to CHRIST.

  • Are you worried about what you don't have?
  • Are you feeling depressed about your wealth?
  • Have you considered doing "anything" it takes to get or keep your wealth?
  • Can you focus a little of your wealth on someone who is less fortunate than you?
  • Can you give without getting a pat on the back?
  • Have your friends disappeared with your wealth?

No comments:

Post a Comment