Monday, March 8, 2010

Are "your plans" inspired by GOD or you?

Luke 14:25Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple. 27And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.
28"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? 29For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, 30saying, 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.'

31"Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Will he not first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. 33In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.

34"Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? 35It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; it is thrown out. "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

==================================

We heard a great message yesterday about heaping expectations onto GOD. It's interesting because I have been talking about this subject with a dear friend over the past few weeks. The premise is that our desires could be sinful and outside of GOD's plan.

When we plan to become a "title" or have a certain income level or even to save so "this many" souls, our motives may need to be checked. Chapter 14 of Luke talks about those who seek to be first will be last. The motive behind being "first" is disgusting to GOD.

JESUS ate with the Pharisees and religious leaders of the day. They said and did the right things in front of men and their quality of life was nothing less of a posh existence. Their motive behind talking about the Bible was selfish gain. They held people hostage in giving instead of freeing them to give.

JESUS looks at my motive. I asked HIM years ago to make me successful in business. HE allowed me to do so and I became a great title. My stewardship of HIS kingdom quickly fell off. JESUS knows the issues that come along with our worldly plans.

All ideas are not from GOD. Some of the most innocent ideas can have a sinful root. JESUS talks about planning to a large crowd. Here HE says planning is okay but the story really is about what motive.

The person who desired to build the tower wanted to get accolades from other humans. Instead of accolades they got ridicule when they could not finish. The person who waged war soon realized that it was ego that caused him to do it and he ended up embarrassed when he realized he would lose.

  • I lose when my motive is to look good before humans.
  • I lose when I love my posh lifestyle here on earth.
  • I lose when I get comfortable in a place that GOD wants me to move away from.
  • I lose when I seek to be "first" and have the best instead of being humble.

My wife asked an intriguing question. "When am I giving up versus trusting GOD?" This is a good question. I stumble over the answer but I am going to take a shot. I believe when I quiet myself down and read GOD's Bible, I can get direction.

I then pray "LORD, is this what YOU want me to do? If it is what YOU want me to do, then the results are YOURS. If YOU want me to have a title, then YOU will make it possible. If you want my plan to be successful then YOU will grow it for YOUR purpose. If YOU want my plan to only reach one person they YOU will bring that person to me.

  • I cannot fail when GOD says to do something through HIS Bible.
  • I cannot fail when I give my plans to GOD.
  • I cannot fail when I leave the results up to HIM.
  • I cannot fail when my motive is for the growth of HIS kingdom.
  • I cannot fail when I am being generous instead of selfish.

JESUS says to give up my life and carry my cross. This takes sacrifice and constant humbling of the ego. My desires and motives eventually will point to GOD not humans.

  • Are your plans failing?
  • Have you checked your motives for your plans?
  • Do you brag about your status?
  • Have you gotten a taste of "the best" of life and want more?
  • Have you asked GOD "LORD is this what YOU want me to do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment