Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I just want to "control" my life!

Luke 20:1One day as he was teaching the people in the temple courts and preaching the gospel, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, together with the elders, came up to him. 2"Tell us by what authority you are doing these things," they said. "Who gave you this authority?" 3He replied, "I will also ask you a question. Tell me, 4John's baptism—was it from heaven, or from men?"
5They discussed it among themselves and said, "If we say, 'From heaven,' he will ask, 'Why didn't you believe him?' 6But if we say, 'From men,' all the people will stone us, because they are persuaded that John was a prophet."

7So they answered, "We don't know where it was from."

8Jesus said, "Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things."

====================================

I used to wonder why GOD would allow "things" to happen to me. I mean, I believed in JESUS at an early age. I tried to stay away from sin as much as possible. I went to church most Sunday's, well at least when I felt like it. I even gave my dollar each week. Why is "this" happening to me? I have questioned GOD, HIS methods and motives and I get the same answer each time. "I'M not going to tell you.

JESUS was upset at the religious leaders of the day. This is one of the rare scriptures that show the entire group who were against JESUS together in one location. The Pharisees, Sadducees, and the Elders wanted religious control.

"Control" is the word that is the problem. Control is probably the ugliest part of humanity.

  • When I try to control GOD, blessings can't happen.
  • When I try to control my wife, my marriage breaks.
  • When I try to control my kids, they grow weaker and weaker.
  • When I try to control my neighbors, I make enemies.
  • When I try to control politics, I become political and blind.
  • When I try to control co-workers, I become demanding.

I believe "control" is the single most thing GOD despises in humans. Satan wanted control of everything. I'm not sure what he thought he was going to do with GOD, but that's another discussion. GOD threw Satan out of heaven because of his need for control.

Now when I look at my life I see control all over it. I like to control things that are in my control and things out of my control. The problem is when I try to control the things out of my control I wind up frustrated. Weather, traffic, and economy are things out of my control. When I get frustrated at any of these things I fall to unresolved conflict.

GOD cannot be controlled. HE is sovereign in HIS plan and should not be questioned. HE allows us to question HIM, but usually we don't like the answer. Going to church more and reading the Bible more do not make GOD love us more. We can understand HIM better by doing these things, but HE has already taken HIS steps to show us HE fully loves us.

  • When I stop trying to control GOD, I can see HIS blessings.
  • When I stop trying to control my situations, I receive peace.
  • When I stop trying to control life, I can see GOD working instead of punishing.

GOD does not owe me an explanation of every little bump in the road. HE does enjoy it when I let HIM control my life.

  • Are you miserable in life?
  • Does it seem like problems are occurring wherever you go?
  • Are you frustrated?
  • Are you trying to control your life?
  • Are you questioning GOD and HIS methods to bless your life?
  • What or who are you trying to control?

No comments:

Post a Comment