Thursday, March 11, 2010

Let's put GOD in HIS place!

Luke 17:7 “When a servant comes in from plowing or taking care of sheep, does his master say, ‘Come in and eat with me’? 8 No, he says, ‘Prepare my meal, put on your apron, and serve me while I eat. Then you can eat later.’ 9 And does the master thank the servant for doing what he was told to do? Of course not. 10 In the same way, when you obey me you should say, ‘We are unworthy servants who have simply done our duty.’”

===============================

I think I have become too "familiar" with GOD. Sometimes I forget that HE is the creator of the universe and master of all HE can imagine. When I get busy I forget to communicate with HIM. I jump into my day without asking HIM "LORD what would YOU like me to do today?"

I get in my car and drive to work listening to voicemail or music not once thanking HIM for keeping me safe. I even get mad at HIS humans for driving stupid. When someone says something I didn't like that day, I stored it away as evidence for being right "again."

Then Sunday arrives. I go to church for 5 or 10 minutes, sing a couple of songs listen to a preacher and bolt out of the door ready to start my week again. Occasionally I will volunteer to serve here and there because GOD likes that stuff. Whew! I've done my duty now where are my riches and fame?

Then "it" happens. "It" is any trouble or calamity I face that thoroughly throws me off my schedule. "It" can be an ailment, loss of a loved one, loss of a job, loss of a possession, pending bad news or many other things that cause me to worry. I then see that GOD is waking me up and I straighten up quickly.

I try to work my way out of the trial and then I demand that GOD fix everything that I perceive as being broken. My expectations of GOD seem upside down when I read this scripture. I actually thought it was harsh so I had to read it again 3 or 4 times.

When I read this I realized that GOD is GOD, not a human. I was made to serve HIM not the other way around. Anything I do for HIM is duly noted and my circumstance may or may not change.

I had to get my mind around this and I realized that Satan hated GOD's position. Satan said "who does HE think HE is trying to rule me? I should be able to do what I want to do!" He then thought he would be the most HIGH GOD. Well, we all know where that got him. GOD put Satan in his place quickly.

  • When I put GOD in HIS place I see HIM as sovereign.
  • When I put GOD in HIS place I don't have a problem with saying I'm an unworthy servant.
  • When I put GOD in HIS place I can accept HIS answers especially when they are "No" or "wait."
  • When I put GOD in HIS place I serve HIM without expecting something in return on this earth.

GOD is not harsh in HIS statement that we have "simply done our duty." I can get arrogant quickly and think my righteous acts will buy favor with GOD and then I think HE "owes" me something. GOD already paid a great price which was the death and resurrection of HIS SON, JESUS who is GOD.

HE owes me nothing, I owe HIM everything.

  • Is GOD your servant or are you serving GOD?
  • Does the statement "you have simply done your duty" upset you?
  • Do you run out of gas often by serving HIM?
  • What are you looking for in return for your servant-hood?
  • Do you truly believe in storing up treasures in heaven or do you need to see them on earth?

No comments:

Post a Comment