Monday, April 19, 2010

I don't "like" that person right now

John 13: 34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

========================================

I just had a discussion with my family about the rage and anger that has risen recently. It seems like there is tension everywhere. This tension has caused a flare up in murder, divorce and hate crimes which causes people to be more tense!

This issue seemed to be much larger than me. How in the world could I be part of the solution? I read this passage of scripture and I saw that GOD has taken care of all situations. "All situations", you ask, how can that be?

JESUS tells me to "LOVE one another" not "like one another." I have run into some sneaky, selfish, mean, nasty, hateful, prejudiced people in my life. These are the people who are hardest to serve. It's all about them all the time and they never say "please" or "thank you."

In fact some of these people do things to me intentionally because they hate me for what I stand for. People are getting more and more selfish, wanting their way "when" they want it and "how" they want it. I'm included in that group. The problem with being selfish is that it breeds hatred when I don't get my way.

GOD says for me to "LOVE" HIS humans. This is the only thing that can reduce rage, anger, hatred, prejudice and other ills of society.

  • When I "LOVE" someone, I don't have to like their actions.
  • When I "LOVE" someone, it's for GOD not for me.
  • When I "LOVE" someone, I don't always feel like loving them (especially this time!).
  • When I "LOVE" someone, sometimes they don't "deserve" to be loved.
  • When I "LOVE" someone, I'm doing what CHRIST did for me.

GOD wired humans differently. HE knows we need love to survive. HE knows that we cannot serve others without love. Any selfish motive to manipulate another human to get my way is not love, its selfishness. GOD can tell the difference in my actions. HE knows when I actually "LOVE" someone for the purpose of them accepting JESUS as the savior.

  • LOVE is an action word, "like" is a feeling.
  • LOVE hangs in there, "like" goes away.
  • LOVE forgives, "like" gets revenge.
  • LOVE makes me give, "like" makes me hoard.
  • LOVE takes faith, "like" says prove it to me.

Somehow GOD has chosen to work through HIS humans. HE created us with free will and allows us to act as stupid as we want to. HE placed HIS HOLY SPIRIT in those who believe in HIS SON. These are the people who now throw away the feeling of "liking" someone and who truly "LOVE" the people right around them.

  • Have you "LOVED" the person who makes you angry?
  • What about "that" person at work or school, can you "LOVE" them today?
  • A specific person just popped in your head just then, how will you show GOD's love to them today?
  • Are you tired of "LOVING" a person who doesn't seem to care?
  • Are you trying to manipulate that person instead of "LOVING" them?

No comments:

Post a Comment