Thursday, April 29, 2010

Unity is an act of worship that is usually overlooked

John 17:20"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 23I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

================================

I have gone to churches seeking "the truth" and have found some very interesting things. There have been people desiring power, titles, money and to fulfill their lusts. On the other hand I have found some dedicated, humble, excited, prayerful people who care for others each day.

How in the world did we end up with so many denominations, clicks and sects? When I read this passage I realized that it is because "unity" is not sought very often. I love to be right, ask my family. BUT GOD wants me to have unity with them.

Can't I be right and have unity? Well sometimes, but other times when I am "right" and want to be heard, it doesn't show the grace and mercy that I am supposed to. Instead of looking for resolution, I seek reparation. I want the other person or people to say "I am right!"

Why do I do this? I guess it's pride or insecurity. GOD wants us to have unity for the purpose of pointing people to HIM. HE is saying that if the world saw how well we treat each other, then maybe they would want some of that.

So I checked my "unity" meter and I found it to be low but getting better. Ask my family that too.

  • Unity doesn't get irritated easily.
  • Unity likes differences.
  • Unity doesn't write a person off easily.
  • Unity keeps trying to resolve.
  • Unity doesn't have to be right all the time.
  • Unity accepts correction.

JESUS prayed an amazing prayer in this chapter. HE prayed for HIMSELF, then HIS disciples, then those who believed in the words they preached. In every case HE mentions being one with each other just as HE is one with the FATHER.

The world is getting more and more selfish. Selfishness in marriage is at an all time high. Selfish churches drive people away. My selfishness doesn't make it any better.

GOD delivers people for me to minister to. I know I can't reach everyone in the world, but HE has some special people I can reach. With that small group of people I am supposed to act with unity. This will draw more and more people to the true light which is CHRIST HIMSELF.

  • Unity takes grace.
  • Unity takes patience.
  • Unity takes practice.
  • Unity takes care.
  • Unity takes peace.
  • Unity takes forgiveness.

I didn't know until now that GOD is asking me to have a full dose of unity. The world will not understand and maybe even laugh at my efforts, but this is my act of worship.
  • Are you arguing to "win and be right" or to reconcile?
  • Are you trying to get your way?
  • Is your way GOD's way?
  • Can you unify as an act of worship today?

No comments:

Post a Comment