Friday, April 16, 2010

Want true "Greatness?"

John 13:12When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. 13"You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

============================

I ask people all the time "Are you ready for "greatness?" I really didn't know what it meant to be "great." I used to think it was how my parents made me feel when I achieved something. Then I thought "greatness" was how the teachers made me feel when I got good grades. Later I thought "greatness" was how each company made me feel when I received an award. I received a lot of awards!"

Human greatness" is defined differently than GOD's greatness. Many people think they are great because of what they achieve on this earth and the accolades they are getting from their bosses, peers and subordinates. I know I used to think so.

  • To be "Great" in GOD's eyes I have to be humble, not boastful.
  • To be "Great" in GOD's eyes I need to recognize when to use grace instead of force.
  • To be "Great" in GOD's eyes I have to learn about GOD's ways.
  • To be "Great" in GOD's eyes I need to serve instead of being served.

"Great" people are rarely recognized. They are people who help others and serve others without bragging or boasting. Each and every day they serve someone without asking for anything in return. They usually have a lot of needs themselves, yet they give their all to others.

I ran away from "GOD's Greatness" to follow "Human Greatness." Let me tell you, it only takes you so far.

  • Human Greatness is temporary.
  • Human Greatness is fleeting.
  • Human Greatness fills me up for a second and then leaves me emptier.
  • Human Greatness makes me jealous of someone else’s achievements.
  • Human Greatness makes me do anything to get it again, even compromise my values.

JESUS said, "You want to be great, wash someone's feet." HIS illustration was the lowest job on earth at that time. Wash dirt and animal poop from a poor person's foot. Kings, politicians and wealthy people could not understand this teaching. They had everything they would ever need, including a great title, yet they were not "great" in GOD's eyes unless they served people.

I have served people around the world and I have to say that it is not easy to see someone in need and not want to do everything it takes to help them out of their situation. GOD himself said "the poor you will always have." HE meant that humans would be too greedy to serve and share so you will always have poor people.

Now that I know what to do, I must do it. I must serve to be great in GOD's eyes.

  • Are you ready for greatness?
  • Who are you serving today?
  • Do you have friends or family who are less fortunate than you?
  • In spite of your situation can you serve someone today?

No comments:

Post a Comment