Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What are you going to "ask" for today?

John 14:11Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. 12I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

================================

If you had one "wish" today what would it be? Hold on, before you go down the usual path of riches and fame think about it in GOD's terms. I had to think about what I would wish for while examining what GOD wants from me. I found myself in a struggle.

GOD wants the world to know about HIS SON. HE knows there is something wrong with the riches of this world. They are based on sin and made with sin. The currency we use is developed to make greedy people wealthier, yet we crave it like a drug.

I have said "I just want enough to pay my bills", but what if my bills included buying a gold toothbrush, a bowling alley in my basement and a cable for my bicycle. My needs and wants are a mess so that must not be what GOD wants me to ask for.

What if I were to ask to become a miracle worker. To be able to heal people of any disease. Well, that fits into me becoming very powerful and having all eyes on me. GOD wants all eyes on HIM and HIS SON.

I thought I would simplify my "asking" but it always came down to more money, a better title and all eyes on me.

  • GOD gave HIS SON to the world to die for our sins.
  • GOD desires that every human not reject HIS SON.
  • GOD knows the earth is cursed and earthly wealth is false.
  • GOD walked amongst men without a penny.
  • GOD knows we need to live on the earth which is controlled by the greedy.

Asking is more difficult than I imagined. Solomon was given the choice to "ask for anything" and he chose wisdom. GOD was extremely pleased with him, so much so, that HE gave him wisdom and earthly wealth that no other man ever had before or since.

My parents used to tell me "ask for wisdom, knowledge and understanding", so I did.

  • GOD has given me the wisdom to know HIS SON is the way, the truth and the life.
  • GOD has given me the knowledge of HIS word which is the Bible I read every day.
  • GOD has given me the understanding that there is no greater prize than JESUS.

I can be tempted to ask for wealth, fame and fortune, but these things won't enable me to do "greater" things than JESUS. Somehow they distract me from what is true. It seems like GOD wants me to ask for more of HIM and HE will give it in ample supply.

  • GOD is LOVE.
  • GOD is KIND.
  • GOD is BOLD.
  • GOD is TRUE.
  • GOD is WISE.
  • GOD is FAITHFUL.
  • GOD is MERCIFUL.
  • GOD is PEACEFUL.

If I ask for any one of these things, HE will supply it abundantly. There are two things I know GOD cannot do. HE can't cease to exist and HE cannot make me GOD, nor would I want HIM to. But HE can give me all that I ask for, especially if its something HE wants to give me.

  • What will you ask for today?
  • Are you still stuck on asking for financial gain?
  • When is the last meal you've missed?
  • Can you ask GOD "what would YOU like me to have today?"
  • Is there a sinful part of your life that you are holding onto?

No comments:

Post a Comment