Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Doubt? You can be sure HE cares!

John 20:24Now Thomas (called Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord!"
But he said to them, "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it."
26A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" 27Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."

28Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"

29Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

30Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31But these are written that you may[a] believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
============================

I have read the Bible for years. I have also studied the Bible formally and daily and I still doubt GOD. Why do I doubt GOD when HE has done such marvelous things in my life? I have a theory.

I see GOD through my life experiences and interactions with humans. I also see GOD through how my earthly parents raised me. Unfortunately both methods of looking at GOD makes me see HIM in a flawed fashion.

When I look at GOD the way I look at humans, I make assumptions that are not true about HIM. I think HE will punish me when I sin and reward me when I follow the straight and narrow. I think HE can get disappointed with me and at times leave me alone.

I feel this way because that's what humans have done to me in the past. I look at GOD with my fears doubts and worries and I see a being that can't possibly love me the way HE said HE does.


  • When I doubt GOD, I am not using the faith HE wants me to have.
  • When I doubt GOD, I feel powerless.
  • When I doubt GOD, I see more problems than solutions.
  • When I doubt GOD, I try to fix things under my own power.
  • When I doubt GOD, I feel exhausted.
  • When I doubt GOD, I get nervous, cranky and sad.

GOD understands me VERY well. HE made me and loves me beyond anything I can imagine. I do not have GOD figured out, but I can tell you that HE gets excited about the marvelous plan HE has for me.

JESUS tells Thomas "Stop doubting and believe." This is an amazing statement. GOD, who made everything wants me to "Stop doubting and believe." I guess HE is saying to me, "look, I made everything. Nothing that goes on can happen without ME knowing it."

"Since MY plans are only for good, everything will be alright." Then I step in and lay my plans on top of GOD's plans. I lay my expectations on top of GOD's expectations and they NEVER match up.


  • Believing in GOD means expecting HIM to do something and accepting HIS way of doing it.
  • Believing in GOD means dropping my time-lines and deadlines I place on HIM.
  • Believing in GOD means seeing HIM as GOD not as human.
  • Believing in GOD means knowing that HE loves me in such extreme ways that I can't even begin to imagine.

GOD is all seeing, all knowing, all powerful, ever present, inconceivable, incorruptible and full of LOVE because HE is LOVE! HE did all the miracles that are written in this book so that we might "believe" not doubt.

We should know that we know that "WE KNOW" that HE IS GOD and we need to stop doubting HIM right now!

  • Why are you doubting GOD?
  • Are you seeing HIM through your own sinful eyes?
  • Do you see HIM as a punisher?
  • Are you waiting for HIM to bless you or curse you?
  • Can you start believing in HIM today?

No comments:

Post a Comment