Wednesday, May 12, 2010

No more fear!

Acts 4:16"What are we going to do with these men?" they asked. "Everybody living in Jerusalem knows they have done an outstanding miracle, and we cannot deny it. 17But to stop this thing from spreading any further among the people, we must warn these men to speak no longer to anyone in this name."
18Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. 19But Peter and John replied, "Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God. 20For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard."

21After further threats they let them go. They could not decide how to punish them, because all the people were praising God for what had happened. 22For the man who was miraculously healed was over forty years old.

=======================================

I was a very, very, very skinny child. I once blew off of a porch. Since I was so small, I feared bullies or people I perceived to be bullies. That wasn't me only fear. I feared new things, new places. I feared failing. I feared rejection. I feared loss of material things.

I remember getting mugged in Chicago and this added to my fear. I guess that's why GOD has helped me the way HE has for years. HE doesn't give me any options so my fears won't explode and make a mess out of things.

What I mean is, GOD only provided one option many times in my life. I took a test to get into my high school. This was the only school of my desire. I got in. I only applied to one college. I graduated from there. There was only one job offer after college. I went there to work. I dated different people, BUT GOD delivered one woman to me who would become my wife.

When I saw GOD steering the circumstances in my life, I realized that I didn't need to fear as much as I did. HE worked out a lot of things in my life. I began to speak boldly about my sin and HIS goodness. Soon many people were getting excited about HIS SON.

GOD blessed our family materially and I didn't know it, but fear crept in again. I didn't see it coming! I thought I was still powerful and bold in my speech. Then the company eliminated positions and I found myself cowering in the corner wondering what was I going to do?

Oh NO! What about my stuff? What about my future plans? What about me? I began to read the great history that is written in the Bible. I came across this story and I saw these men speaking boldly about GOD to the people who had just killed HIM.

Peter and John had just healed a lame man. Everyone saw them do it so no one could lie about it. The religious leaders who killed JESUS tried to shut them up too. Peter and John were a threat to their existence.

Peter and John also knew that they could be killed any minute by speaking about CHRIST. Peter especially knew it because he denied CHRIST to these same people so he wanted them to know he was no longer afraid.

Fear is something GOD constantly wants to get rid of in our lives. HE places circumstances in our life to face what we fear. I used to be scared to speak about CHRIST because "What will the people on my job think?" Well, GOD worked that out, now what?


  • Fear is rotten.
  • Fear is stifling.
  • Fear causes me to doubt GOD's power.
  • Fear limits the way I think.
  • Fear controls me after a while.
  • Fear makes me make "safe" decisions.
  • Fear is against GOD.

When Adam and Eve sinned, they began to fear GOD who had done nothing to them. Prophets fear humans after performing miracles. Humans fear other humans and it causes them to perform poorly.

GOD says "do not fear, for I AM with you and I will NEVER leave you!" HE wants us to focus on HIS mighty power when we get afraid.


  • When I have fear I need to focus on GOD's great power.
  • When I have fear I need to tell GOD about my fear.
  • When I have fear I need to confront the fear.
  • When I have fear I need to remember the times HE has brought me through other situations.
  • When I have fear I need to look at HIS promises HE has for me.

GOD filled Peter and John with the HOLY SPIRIT. They were now equipped to face very powerful men without fear because they chose to fear GOD instead of fearing man.

  • What are you fearing?
  • Do you doubt GOD's power?
  • Is HE able to change your situation? Why hasn't HE?
  • Are you open to becoming GREAT in HIS eyes instead of humans eyes?

No comments:

Post a Comment