Friday, May 14, 2010

Time to get tough!

Acts 6

8Now Stephen, a man full of God's grace and power, did great wonders and miraculous signs among the people. 9Opposition arose, however, from members of the Synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called)—Jews of Cyrene and Alexandria as well as the provinces of Cilicia and Asia. These men began to argue with Stephen, 10but they could not stand up against his wisdom or the Spirit by whom he spoke.
11Then they secretly persuaded some men to say, "We have heard Stephen speak words of blasphemy against Moses and against God."
12So they stirred up the people and the elders and the teachers of the law. They seized Stephen and brought him before the Sanhedrin. 13They produced false witnesses, who testified, "This fellow never stops speaking against this holy place and against the law. 14For we have heard him say that this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and change the customs Moses handed down to us."
15All who were sitting in the Sanhedrin looked intently at Stephen, and they saw that his face was like the face of an angel.

========================================

It seems like the more I try to act like a Christian the more opposition I get. When my life was on the path that wasn't pleasing to GOD, it seemed like life was so easy. Oh, but the mind plays tricks that make me think this way.

I forgot the agony I went through while trying to act on my own strength not serving GOD. My plans were failing and I had to turn back to GOD. I felt full again so I started serving HIM. First small opposition came against me.

I was lazy and would not go to church often. While church doesn't make me holier, I knew that I would grow by going. So GOD helped me with my laziness. I was cheap and only gave $1 a week. While giving doesn't make me holier, my sacrifice enables me to realize the sacrifice CHRIST made for me. So GOD helped me give a lot more.

As I started to go to church and give more and more, I noticed a change in me that made me want to serve. I taught which meant I had to study. The more I studied, the more I desired to serve. I then went on various missions trips.

I noticed that the more I served GOD, the tougher the opposition became. On one trip we were told we had to be careful about how we spread the gospel or we could wind up in jail. The wheels kept trying to fall off of this trip and many things went wrong.

We did however go and I was able to spread GOD's gospel and it is still preached in that country to this day, not because of me, because of GOD.


  • The more I serve GOD the more opposition I will face.
  • The more I serve GOD the more problems will come into my life.
  • The more I serve GOD the stronger I will become to handle those problems.
  • The more I serve GOD the easier it is for me to see spiritual opposition.

Stephen was just doing what GOD had told him to do. He wasn't trying to get credit or brag about what GOD was doing through him. HE simply did what he was told to do. He wasn't trying to cause a riot, BUT GOD was.

The religious people of that day, and today for that matter, were and are the most difficult to deal with. The words "grace" and "mercy" never come from their lips and judgment pours from their mouth. Stephen spread the gospel through word and deed.

He told the truth and was not afraid. He knew the religious leaders of that day would kill any person who spoke about the simplicity of the gospel of CHRIST. He knew they tried to over complicate their messages to get people to look at "them" rather than "HIM."

He knew they spouted out scripture and had no compassion for other humans and judgment was their first weapon instead of "GRACE." They had to get rid of this guy! He made people feel great about themselves and for the first time in a person’s life they could be forgiven of all sins without persecution from GOD.

I have faced opposition from the world and that is difficult, but the opposition I face from religious institutions seems more difficult than the world. Some churches have so many rules trying to be efficient that they forget they are serving humans.

I now understand that as a Christian, Satan will not just sit back and let me spread the gospel easy. He will place opposition in front of me at every turn.


  • In order to serve GOD I have to remain teachable.
  • In order to serve GOD I have to read what HE wants me to do.
  • In order to serve GOD I have to listen to people who don't have hidden motives.
  • In order to serve GOD I have to drop my know it all attitude.

GOD never said it would be easy, in fact HE said it would be difficult so HE prayed that we would remain in HIM and that we would serve HIM. I know times and problems are tough so I choose to serve GOD.


  • Are you facing difficult times?
  • If you believe in CHRIST why don't you believe you would face these difficult times?
  • Are you trying to do right?
  • If you believe in CHRIST why don't you believe Satan will try to oppose you?
  • Can you get energized by CHRIST today instead of looking at your situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment