Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Take GOD out of the "box."

Acts 17:23 for as I was walking along I saw your many shrines. And one of your altars had this inscription on it: ‘To an Unknown God.’ This God, whom you worship without knowing, is the one I’m telling you about.


 
24 “He is the God who made the world and everything in it. Since he is Lord of heaven and earth, he doesn’t live in man-made temples, 25 and human hands can’t serve his needs—for he has no needs. He himself gives life and breath to everything, and he satisfies every need. 26 From one man he created all the nations throughout the whole earth. He decided beforehand when they should rise and fall, and he determined their boundaries.

 
27 “His purpose was for the nations to seek after God and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him—though he is not far from any one of us. 28 For in him we live and move and exist. As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’

 
==============================

I try to put GOD in a "box" all the time. I know it's wrong, but I limit HIS power with my thinking. I sometimes think HIS love is predicated by my actions. I also have thought that I could steer GOD by telling HIM what to do.

 
GOD is very hard to conceive. We have the Bible which tells us "what" HE did, but we don't know "why" or "how" HE did anything. A few weeks ago I spoke to my earthly father and he said something about GOD that I enjoyed pondering. He said "GOD has made some things for HIMSELF that no one has or will ever see."

 
That statement means that GOD's power is so great that we cannot understand it. HE does things on HIS own terms.  
  • GOD is all powerful. 
  • GOD is all knowing. 
  • GOD is everywhere. 
  • GOD has always existed. 
  • GOD will always exist. 
  • GOD does things for HIS pleasure. 
  • GOD is.
When I read this scripture, it made me realize that GOD is much bigger than I thought. HE is bigger than my circumstances and much bigger than those who think they put me in my circumstances.
  • I don't know why GOD created humans through one human.
  • I don't know why GOD causes people to rise to the "top."
  • I don't know why GOD causes people to fall
  • I don't know how GOD spoke everything into existence.
  • I don't know how GOD made free will.
  • I don't know how GOD tolerates my sin.
I know I have a lot of questions about GOD, but HE has given me enough answers to live a very full life.
  • I know that GOD loves me.
  • I know that GOD takes care of my needs.
  • I know that believing in HIS SON's death and resurrection saves me.
  • I know that GOD is in control of every circumstance.
  • I know that I am HIS child.

 GOD knew what my life would be like before I was created. HE knew what sins I would do and what efforts I would make to try to please HIM. In spite of my mistakes, GOD made me anyway. 
  • How "big" is GOD to you?
  • Is GOD bigger than your circumstance?
  • Is GOD in control of what you are going through?
  • Do you know GOD has a wonderful plan for you?
  • What is HIS plan for you? Have you asked HIM?

No comments:

Post a Comment