Friday, June 4, 2010

Who do you "care" about?

Acts 20:22"And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. 23I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. 24However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.

 
=============================

There are times when it's all about me. I say "I'm hurting" or "I'm lonely" or "I'm mad" or "I'm happy" or "I want this" or "I need that." If I were to record my prayers through tough times, I would see that it's all about me.

 
But wait a minute, shouldn't I be able to go to GOD with "my" problems? What about my pain? I mean, I helped "that person" last week and I went to church and I gave my money. Shouldn't I catch a break sometimes? 

 
As I pondered my relationship with GOD I soon realized that sometimes even my serving was all about me.

  • I am serving myself when I "give" on my terms. 
  • I am serving myself when I "try to serve" GOD the way I want to serve HIM. 
  • I am serving myself when I "act" deserving of more than salvation. 
  • I am serving myself when I "pout" at GOD's decisions.

 

GOD has shown me that it shouldn't be "all about me." Paul was led by the HOLY SPIRIT and was nearing the end of his missionary journey. He knew that he turned the world upside down by preaching the GREAT NEWS about CHRIST.  

 
Wherever he would go next he would face beatings, hatred, bitterness jail or even death. Paul's life was led with purpose. He knew this life was just a temporary one. He dedicated his life to telling people about CHRIST no matter what. 

 
Later in this chapter he mentions that he works hard for his money. In other words he was not serving CHRIST to get wealthy or to get out of trouble. He served CHRIST because GOD made him "care" about people.  
  • When I care about others, my problems seem to go away. 
  • When I care about others, GOD sees what I am doing and stores up treasures in heaven for me. 
  • When I care about others, it fills the hole in my heart. 
  • When I care about others, I actually feel excited instead of exhausted.

 

You would think caring for someone else would be draining but it actually fills me up when I do it right.

  • When I serve someone “without caring” for them then the whole effort is draining.
  • When I serve people “without knowing who I'm serving”, then I do it sloppily.
  • When I serve people with the purpose of “getting out of my trial”, then GOD sees through my ploy and HE leaves me in the trial.

 

GOD has taught me that I actually have to "care" about other people in spite of my circumstances. HE wants me to spread HIS messages of true salvation even though I face hardship.

 

I don't know what GOD has in store for me, but I know HE wants me to truly care for people even when they don't care for me.

 
  • Check yourself and your attitude... are you thinking only about you?
  • Are you in despair?
  • When is the last time you have truly served other people without looking to gain something?
  • Have you opened your mouth and told someone about the GREAT NEWS about CHRIST lately?
  • Have you thought that maybe your despair is because GOD wants you to help someone?

No comments:

Post a Comment