Thursday, July 1, 2010

Get control of your body!

Romans 6: 11In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness. 14For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.


 
==============================

 
I read this passage this morning and got a real heavy heart. I will be honest, I like to sin so what am I to do? I had to ponder this message for a while to understand how sin actually turns into a physical act. I will try to keep it rated PG but it may be difficult.

 
What is my body?

  
The Feet and Legs
My feet and legs help me walk to places. I have a choice to walk in places GOD wants me to go.

 
The Hands
My hands can be used to grope, hit or help carry things for someone. It’s my choice to use my hands for GOD’s purpose.

 
The Private Parts
This is obviously used for sex. I have a choice to keep my private parts dedicated to GOD and have sex as HE defines it. HE wants me to have sex “in marriage only” between a “man and a woman.” If I do anything outside of that I am outside of GOD’s plan.

 
The Stomach
I can overeat or share my food with others. I can eat all the time or fast to understand that it’s not all about me.

 
The Heart
I can give my heart to a human or try to protect it from being hurt or put lust in it, all of which take me down the wrong path. I actually need to put GOD in my heart 100%. HE then expands my heart to include a spouse, kids, friends, neighbors and love for enemies. HE turns my lusts into compassion.

 
The Head
This is a very important area of my body. It contains my eyes, ears, tongue and mind. I have to watch what I watch and be careful of what and who I listen to.
  • If I am gawking over a woman’s breasts or body then I am not in control.  
  • If I am listening to juicy gossip or words that take me away from GOD’s ways then I am in trouble. 
  • If I am saying poisonous things about people or telling lies or being deceitful then I am no good to GOD’s people. 
  • If I am thinking about getting “my way” instead of asking what is GOD’s way then I am wasting my time.
  • If I am considering lust outside of my marriage, or seeking lustful power or thinking any other human is stupid and deserves GOD’s consequences then I am not on GOD’s side.

GOD says to act like I have been rescued from being separated from HIM eternally. Act like I appreciate what HE did. I have to get control of my body from head to toe and “offer it as an instrument of righteousness.” Of course there will be failures along the way, but GOD is there to straighten out my path.
  • Can you offer your full body to GOD?
  • Can you get control of your mind first?
  • Is GOD fully in your heart or are you trying to hold onto a part of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment