Monday, July 5, 2010

Not “forced” to love.

Romans 7: 4So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God. 5For when we were controlled by the sinful nature, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death. 6But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

======================================
Rules governing marriage and relationships are necessary, but not always good. When things have to be spelled out to me then either I was missing the point or just being stubborn and wanting to ignore something that I know I was supposed to be doing.

This happens through a series of judgment calls. When I think someone is harming me or my family, I go into “self preservation” mode which brings out the fight in me. Suddenly I find myself in a place where I am fighting and arguing because of a misunderstanding or a difference in value. It’s those times where the relationship needs to be spelled out to me.

Unfortunately for the other person, or people, freedom to express themselves in a creative way goes out the window.
  • GOD saw HIS humans growing more and more evil. 
  • GOD saw HIS humans becoming more and more scared of HIM. 
  • GOD saw HIS humans treating other humans poorly. 
  • GOD made laws to focus HIS humans back to “need” HIM and HIS love.
The law was difficult to swallow. Every time a human sinned there had to be atonement for it. Something or someone had to “pay” for even the slightest sin. The written laws actually attracted people to sin. It’s like the “wet paint” sign that attracts people to touch it to see if it is truly wet.

JESUS did an amazing thing. HE knew I would not be able to follow the law instead HE took it upon HIMSELF to follow every law to the letter. HE set the standard for what it meant to be “perfect” and showed me that is impossible for me to live a “perfect life.”
  • JESUS’ death and resurrection saves me from the law. 
  • JESUS’ death and resurrection “pays” for all of my sins.
  • JESUS’ death and resurrection enables me to serve people “without guilt.”
The law was put in place to control my selfishness. It keeps me focused on others rather than fulfilling my sinful lusts. JESUS paid for all of my sins and now I don’t need my relationship with HIM “spelled out” to me. HE freed me and now I choose to serve and worship HIM.
  • Do you think you can “save yourself” by being good?
  • Are you trying to follow the law, thinking it will get you in heaven?
  • Do you think you need to be saved from eternal death?
  • Can you serve CHRIST with freedom?
  • Isn’t love better when you choose to love versus being forced to show it?

No comments:

Post a Comment