Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Are you ugly?

1 Corinthians: 4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

 
8Love never fails…

 
-----------------------------

 
13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

 
Two girls got on our crowded bus. They made their way back to where we were sitting. Since chivalry was dead, we didn’t consider relinquishing our seats. My friend sat near the window and I noticed the girls craning their necks to “look” at him trying desperately to get his attention.

 
“Hey! What about me?” “Don’t you like a skinny, glasses wearing guy with a constant bad hair day?” “Don’t you know how great I will be”, I thought about telling them. After years of the same treatment I worked on my physical appearance by lifting weights, brushing my hair, and getting into the latest fashion. I made it! Or did I?
  • Ugly isn’t on the outside.
  • Ugly is measured by GOD.
  • Ugly is thinking someone is not worthy of my company.
  • Ugly is thinking I am better than someone else.
  • Ugly is complaining about “those” people.
  • Ugly is looking out for “me” and “me” alone!
  • Ugly does not understand how GOD has shown me grace and mercy in all circumstances.
When I read this passage, I realize I fall very short in the “love” department. When I “love” myself, I’m hard on others and I become selfish but when I “love” others GOD blesses me with results.
  • LOVE = Patient = waiting on the slow person to get dressed or cross the street.
  • LOVE = Kind = paying a strangers toll, smiling at someone, holding a door, helping someone.
  • LOVE does NOT EQUAL Envy ≠ wanting “that” person’s position, beauty or stuff.
  • LOVE does NOT EQUAL Pride ≠ thinking I’m better than others or my skills and talents are superior or not accepting or asking for help when I need it.
  • LOVE does NOT EQUAL Rude ≠ mistreating people, interrupting to get my point across, embarrassing people.
  • LOVE does NOT EQUAL Selfish ≠ thinking about me all the time. Protecting me, guarding me!
  • LOVE does NOT EQUAL Record Wrongs ≠ always ready to “win” the argument or get my point across.
  • LOVE does NOT EQUAL Evil ≠ wanting to harm someone, or trip them up in their words or lie, cheat or steal.
  • LOVE = Truth = GOD’s Bible and JESUS’ words
  • LOVE = Protection = Instead of justifying why I shouldn’t be with that person I talk only about the good they do.
  • LOVE = Trust = absolutely knowing the person has my best interest in mind.
  • LOVE = Hope = able to look at a better future which is always ahead of me.
  • LOVE = Perseverance = no matter how “ugly” they get I treat them with love.
  • LOVE does not EQUAL failure = When all else fails use love!

JESUS is the only one who can LOVE perfectly, but HE asks that I add this to my diet each day.
  • Who are you “loving” (action word) today?
  • Do you “love” yourself in an unselfish way?
  • Can you add a little “love” today?

No comments:

Post a Comment