Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Decide “not” to be an obstacle to someone’s success

Romans 14: 13Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. 14As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean.

================================
My actions may have caused a few people to stumble along the way. I just wanted to have fun I thought. We played drinking games that led to getting drunk which led to people dropping their inhibitions which sometimes led to fights or sex depending on the evening. My innocent party led to others stumbling in the wrong way.

I’m not saying don’t drink, there are too many arguments over alcohol, but I am saying that I must think through all of my actions no matter how innocent.
  • I choose not to show kids rated “R” movies, there are enough attacks on their sexuality.
  • I choose not to drink any longer, I have friends who struggle with alcoholism.
  • I choose not to curse any longer, I have friends who have negative words constantly hurled at them.
  • I choose not to let fear get the best of me, the situations of the world are frightening enough for many.
My choice is just what it is… “Mine.” Just because I don’t do certain things anymore doesn’t make me any holier or special to GOD. I was already special enough when I was in the middle of my sins that HE allowed HIS SON to take my consequences. Please don’t think of my acts as being weak in faith though.

  • GOD is pleased when I give up certain pleasures for faith.
  • GOD is delighted when I purposefully stop sinning to help someone else get through their trials.
  • GOD is excited when I stop judging a person because of their religious practices and I show them CHRIST by example “and” word.
As I finished the chapter I noticed these words “19Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.” “Every effort” for peace with each other means someone has to go first. While I still sin, I choose to be the one who brings peace to relationships by doing things for GOD.
  • Are your acts causing someone to stumble?
  • Does what you are doing seem innocent?
  • If what you are doing is a sin, can you cut it out to help someone else?
  • What are the consequences of you holding onto your “pet sin?”

No comments:

Post a Comment