Monday, August 30, 2010

Unity requires me to be content.

1 Corinthians 12: 21The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" 22On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24while our presentable parts need no special treatment.

But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

=================================

Sitting on the other side of the world lives a family of five in a house that is 6 feet by six feet. The roof is straw and the floor is kind of a homemade cement mixed with tar. The owner has cows, chickens and a lemon tree. As I met this owner the one thing I noticed was his smile and excitement to show what he had!

Through the years I remember this family. I’m sure they argue, but they all seemed content. This was a very different way of living that I used to pity and laugh at but there was unity and harmony that seems to be fading in our modern progressive part of the world.

  • Selfishness causes me to be discontent.
  • Wanting things makes me want other things.
  • When I get the nice clothes or things it won’t be long before I want something else.
  • Wanting “my way” and wanting to “be heard” is more dangerous than it seems.

What does having things or wealth have to do with the unity Paul writes about? My decisions for whether someone can “help me” or not is sometimes based on “what they can do for me” to increase my wealth or get my way.

  • GOD wants me to be content with what I have in my possession “right now.”
  • Relationships with others need to be based on what I can do for them not the other way around.
  • Serving someone who has nothing is just as important as “serving the wealthy to increase my wealth.”

When I read this passage I first thought of diversity, then I thought of appreciating various gifts and talents, but I never thought of what prevents me from appreciating other people. The more content I am with my circumstance, the easier it is to “get along” with different people around me.

  • Are you discontent?
  • Do people get on your nerves easily?
  • Do you have an “agenda” you are secretly trying to fill?
  • Are you trying too hard to get your way and it’s frustrating that you aren’t?

No comments:

Post a Comment