Thursday, August 12, 2010

What kind of life are you “building?”

1 Corinthians 3: 10By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds. 11For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw,

 
13his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. 14If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 15If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.

 
===================

Sometimes I ask “what is the purpose of life?” This question seems too deep to answer but I’m sure it does have some merit. It seems like the harder I try to “get ahead” in life there is always something or someone who tries to tear down what “I’ve” built.

 
Then when I read this scripture I can see I need to “be careful how I build.” When I focus all my efforts on building a good life here on earth I tend to stay worried and disappointed.
  • Building riches and fame brings worry and blame.
  • Building titles and pride brings doubt inside.
  • Building houses and clothes brings pain only GOD knows.

The world is full of some great “stuff!” There are so many new gadgets, phones, garments and houses that it’s hard to not want just a few of these things. I mean who wouldn’t want the house with the bowling alley or the closet full of shoes or my favorite a BMW with all the fixin’s.

 
All of these things are not a problem, but if I “spend my life” trying to achieve titles to acquire “things” then I am truly wasting my time.
  • A good “foundation” is knowing JESUS is GOD who died for me by HIS own rules.
  • A good “frame of my house” is reading about the FATHER, SON and HOLY SPIRIT.
  • A good “roof” is accepting what GOD says and putting it into action.
  • A good “decorated interior” is prayerfully admitting the need for GOD each day.

 
The great thing about GOD is that HE doesn’t require all of my attention. I take my mind off of HIM often. BUT the more I focus on what HE wants me to do the stronger “my house” becomes!
  • What kind of life are you building?
  • Is life more that the title or riches you are seeking?
  • When is the last time you did something specifically for GOD and GOD alone?
  • Can you add “purpose” or “meaning” to your plans today?

No comments:

Post a Comment