Thursday, August 26, 2010

Will “Communion” fix broken things in my life?

1 Corinthians 11: 23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

 
27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.

 
======================

 
For years I have taken Communion in church as a habit instead of an act of worship. I mean that’s just something that we do in church. They pass out some stale cracker and some juice or if you go to one of those fancy churches they pass out wine. This is just a ritual right? Wrong!

 
It is very clear GOD wants me to take this meal very seriously.
  • First I have to believe that JESUS is GOD who became a human and died as a punishment in my place.
  • Next I must recognize sin in my life and the need for GOD to remove HIS anger towards my sin.
  • Finally I must give thanks for the many blessings GOD has given me through HIS risen SON.

Now what does this have to do with my problems? How is drinking some juice, eating some crackers and admitting my sin going to resolve what I’m going through? That doesn’t make sense!
  • GOD wants to be “GOD” and HE commands respect and authority.
  • GOD is more than a human and HE wants me to recognize HIS position.
  • GOD wants me to recognize “my need” for HIM.
  • GOD took sin so seriously that HE died for me so HE wants me to remember this as often as I can.
GOD’s power is awesome and infinite. HE can turn my situation around in an instant just by speaking a word. So why hasn’t HE? I go to church and pay my money. Well, it’s my attitude HE wants rather than a habit. Paul states “that’s why you’re weak, sick and dead.”

 
When my attitude towards church, prayer and Communion changed strangely enough I noticed problems in life dissolving. Coincidence? NO! GOD.
  • Do you take Communion out of habit?
  • How often do you stop and remember what JESUS has done for you?
  • Do you take time out of your schedule to admit the need for JESUS every now and then?

No comments:

Post a Comment