Friday, September 10, 2010

Do I stink?

2 Corinthians: 14But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. 15For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. 16To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?

 
========================

Flowers in the spring, a light summer rain, and charcoal in flames all have this affect on me. Each time I smell them I remember some very good times. I think of relaxation and carefree living… at least for a moment. What I didn’t know is my personality can have a smell.
  • When I act like a hypocrite while trying to serve GOD, my efforts stink.
  • When I complain about what someone else is doing or not doing, my relationships stink.
  • When I try to do good in order to manipulate GOD into getting my way, my righteousness stinks.
  • When I chose to sin knowing that GOD despises my sin, my prayers stink.
Occasionally I will wake up in a “funk” and I feel it’s my duty to spread that funk throughout my household. What I don’t realize is my funk can spread to hundreds of people. Each person my family touches can spread funk on others and they will do the same until it becomes an epidemic.
  • Sacrifice is always a sweet aroma to the LORD.
  • Giving extra in anonymity smells great to the recipient.
  • Ernest prayers admitting guilt wafts forgiveness to my nostrils.
  • Telling people about GOD’s SON permeates the air and settles troubled hearts.
Paul also tells me that my GODLY aroma will actually stink some. They will ask “are you really that nice”, “what’s the catch”, “why aren’t you mad even though I am attacking you”, “why do you believe in that JESUS stuff?”

 
The Great News about JESUS being GOD and dying for my sins is an offensive aroma to some people. It may mean giving up sinful habits, worldly views, titles, power and illicit sexual behavior. What stinks to man smells great to GOD and what smells great to GOD is all that matters.
  • Do you have a funky attitude that repels people from listening to GOD?
  • Are your judgments of others smelly to GOD?
  • Can you spread the fragrance of mercy and love today?

No comments:

Post a Comment