Monday, September 20, 2010

Even my sadness has purpose.

2 Corinthians 7: 10Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. 11See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done. At every point you have proved yourselves to be innocent in this matter.
=======================

Cornfields laced both sides of the road as far as the eye could see. The sun stood high in the air and there was absolutely no one on the boring road, I thought. As I edged my speed up I noticed blue and red flashing lights in my rear view mirror.

“I’m sorry” was the first thing out of my mouth and the police officer said something very memorable. “You are sorry you got caught, not sorry you did it.” Wow was he right!
  • GOD wants true change in my life when HE puts obstacles in my way.
  • My heart would never follow GOD without something going wrong in my life.
  • When I am in a trial, I beg GOD to remove the trial.
  • The longer GOD leaves me in the trial, the more eager I serve HIM.

GOD isn’t holding me hostage by saying “love me or else” rather HE knows certain worldly situations can tempt me away from following HIM. When HE removes or changes the situation then my sadness makes me “seek” comfort.

  •  There is no comfort better than GOD’s comfort.
  • When I repent of the sins in my life, my conscience is clear.
  • When my conscience is clear, I can actually see GOD the way HE wants me to see HIM.
  • When I see GOD as my savior, I become eager to serve.

True change means I am “sorry that I’m sinning” rather than being “sorry that I got caught.” GOD can tell the difference between my arrogant rants of “being right” versus when I am truly sorry I am not serving HIM the way HE wants me to serve HIM.

HE can easily see through my attempts to “get my sinful life back” by manipulating HIM with my tainted goodness. HE can tell my goodness is temporary and when things are back to the way I want them, all of my lusts and sin will return. GOD prolongs my circumstances even longer until I “truly” give my life and the situation over to HIM.
  • Are you truly sorry about your sin or are you sorry you got caught?
  • Are you trying to be good to impress people or GOD so you can get your way?
  • Are you trying to manipulate someone or GOD by being good?
  • Is your conscience clear?
  • Can you seek GOD today to cleanse your broken spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment