Wednesday, September 15, 2010

“Please” or “Be Pleased”

2 Corinthians 5: 9So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. 10For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

==========================

  
Teenage years seem to be a very tumultuous time for most families to go through and mine was no exception. It’s where idealism begins to meet reality and separation from parents is evidenced by sometimes painful arguments. Seeking recognition was my craving at that time and sometimes it was from the wrong crowd.

  • When I seek the world’s luxuries it’s hard for me to not have them when they are lost or stolen.
  • When “my value” is based on recognition from humans instead of GOD then I get depressed at negative feedback.
  • When I serve people to get something in return, then I resent when they don’t reciprocate.
The wrong crowd wanted me to do things the world's way. This made me desire more for myself and less for others. It made me "feel" like I needed to be served. If I have to “feel” like doing the right thing for GOD, I would never do it. GOD wants me to serve HIM in spite of how I feel. HE wants me to be HIS example through “thick and thin” because HE knows my motives are never aligned with HIS.

Salvation conceptually gets in the way of how I truly serve GOD. What I mean is my view of GOD is sometimes skewed by HIS act of kindness to me. HE saved me now I want HIM to serve me but in reality it should be the other way around!
  • Serving GOD enables me to tell GOD that HE is GOD.
  • GOD is a jealous GOD and wants to be viewed as GOD, not a slave to me.
  • GOD knows my feeble attempts to serve HIM are sometimes mixed in with the motive of manipulation.

Selfishness and wanting to be seen heard and recognized all get in the way of how I truly feel about GOD. I love HIM but I want to “do life” my way. GOD wants me to serve HIM and HIS humans with passion and excitement regardless of pain and turmoil.

HE doesn’t want me to be miserable in my relationship with HIM and HE wants spontaneous bursts of love towards HIM and others. Trust me, when I follow HIM, HE knows how to bless me.
  • Are you so focused on yourself that you are not serving others?
  • Are you holding your “love” back because someone is not meeting your standards of serving you?
  • Why do you think you need to be served?
  • Can you drop your expectations of other people for one day and serve them fully?
  • What does “that person” want?

No comments:

Post a Comment