Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Who are you trying to please?

Galatians 1 10 Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

================

One could make arguments about the Bible’s stance on drinking alcohol. Some are for it and some against. At one point I saw people who seemed to be having “fun” drinking and laughing so of course I joined in.

Soon I became the life of many parties BUT GOD wanted me to be a different witness so I totally gave up drinking. I remember going to a party after work where everyone but me had a glass in their hand. I felt so out of place! “Why aren’t you drinking”, people would ask me. Strangely I felt ashamed.

  • Everything about GOD is strange to humans.
  • GOD says MY ways are not your ways; MY thoughts are not your thoughts.
  • JESUS did the strangest thing by becoming a human to be murdered in order to save me.

After being ashamed of not drinking, going to church, believing that demons do exist, believing that GOD is above science and believing in JESUS I soon realized I was ashamed of my Savior. I looked the same as everyone else and had no GODLY fruit in my life.

  •  When I try to blend into the world, I hide my GODLY light under a bowl.
  • When I show no constraint in my life, GOD does not use me to draw people to HIMSELF.
  • When I am grumpy, fearful and doubtful, people join me and reject the power of GOD’s grace.

Paul wrote to the Galatians and opened his letter by telling them to stay firm in their faith. He asked “how could you so quickly leave the truth and believe lies about salvation?” He said “JESUS is the only way so stop trying to say what people want to hear.”

There are days I felt like telling people what they wanted to hear. I wanted “that person” or “that thing” for my own selfish fulfillment and I gave up on following GOD in order to get what I wanted. BUT GOD wants me to be different. HE chose me to be “strange” in this world and is helping me not to be ashamed of HIM.
  • Are you hiding your salvation from people?
  • When is the last time you actually said the words “JESUS saved me from going to Hell” to someone?
  • Is your life any different than people around you?
  • Do you complain in public when you should be displaying grace, mercy and peace?

No comments:

Post a Comment