Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The best gift to give a child

Ephesians 6: 4Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

=================

Sunday morning was here and the house was in disarray so of course I woke up barking orders at the family. The house had to be cleaned up right then. Everyone was aligned to the tasks but an eerie silence filled the house.

We ate our meal and headed to church. I have no idea if the family heard what was said about GOD that day. The battle was won but the war was lost.

  • My children will pick up my bad habits before they learn the good ones.
  • My children will learn prejudice, hatred, lust and greed from me.
  • My children will treat people poorly if they see me doing the same.

My lessons as a father are important to my children. They watch me very carefully to see if I am consistent in my beliefs, reliable in my convictions and persistent in my faith. At one time I thought this was too much pressure. “How am I going to walk perfect?” I thought to myself.

  • I have to teach my kids that while I am not perfect GOD accepts me as perfection.
  • I have to teach my kids that JESUS died for my sins and theirs.
  • I have to teach my kids that the most important skill to have in life is a strong relationship with GOD.
  • I have to teach my kids that parents are not perfect but GOD is always there and HE is perfect.
  • I have to teach my kids faith not fear.
GOD expects me to have deliberate moments where I am teaching my kids about HIM. Whether it is a lesson straight from the Bible or through actually helping someone my lessons are being absorbed daily. Unfortunately my lessons are “always” being taught so when I am not teaching, I “am” teaching.
  • When I slander someone, my kids see it.
  • When I am negative, my kids see it.
  • When I am fearful and doubtful, my kids see it.
Now I know the most important gift I can ever give my children and that is the gift of a relationship with the almighty savior, JESUS who is the CHRIST.
  • Are you helping a child grow in knowledge of CHRIST?
  • Do you realize that you are an example even if you are not a parent?
  • What lessons is your “life” teaching?

No comments:

Post a Comment