Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Am I driven by “stuff”?

Philippians 4:  10 I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

============

School was about to begin in September which meant new clothes, but this time the shopping was different; my father was taking me instead of my mother. Now don’t get me wrong, Mom stood firm on the budget, but dad… well. “Let’s go to Goldblatt’s” is the exclamation that began our downward spiral of pitiful shopping.

When we arrived he said “here are some pants” of course this was a box of pants of all sizes and colors that had been rummaged through. “Can’t we go somewhere else?” I said, thinking I was going to get something with a little fashion. “Yes, we can go home!”
  • Being discontent blinds me to real blessings.
  • Being discontent fuels my complaints.
  • Being discontent starts my worries.
Having nice things isn’t bad, nor is “not having” them. GOD wants me to be content with HIS plan no matter what state I’m in. What does being content mean?
  • Being content means I can praise GOD no matter what the circumstance.
  • Being content means I can tell people about what JESUS did for me in good or bad times.
  • Being content means I can refrain from complaining long enough to tell someone about GOD’s greatness.
It actually is harder for me to be content when I have plenty. I know this is strange, but I find myself holding onto things more than I hold onto GOD. I lay awake worrying if my “stuff” will be taken or if I have enough money for “more stuff.”

Now I can see why GOD says “The love of money is the root or beginning of all kinds of evil.” My love of “stuff” can blind me to the real blessing which is GOD. In times of plenty GOD wants me to share my wealth. In lean times HE wants me to give up my pride and praise HIM anyway.
  • Are you content with your situation?
  • Have you been a chronic complainer?
  • Do you see the blessings of GOD or are you blind?
  • When someone points out a blessing to you do you say “yeah, but?”

No comments:

Post a Comment