Friday, November 12, 2010

Are all traditions good for me?

Colossians 2:6 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, 7 rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

 8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.

============

Holiday season is quickly approaching and the traditions around my house begin to unfold. Turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce and many other meats and sides adorn the table during this festive time. I have loved this time of year since I was a child. But my perspective has changed on the holidays over the years.
  • As a child I loved Thanksgiving for what I could eat.
  • As a child I liked Christmas for what I could get.
  • As a child I disliked New Year’s celebrations because it meant school was back in session.
  • As a child I liked Easter because of what I could eat and I would get a new suit.
Traditions seem okay, but without CHRIST they seem empty. Spring break to college students has turned into a lustful pilgrimage, weddings have turned into showcases for “beating the Joneses”, and other celebrations have turned into “gimme” exercises.

So should I be boring and mope around with a glum face while the world seems to be enjoying itself? NO! GOD wants me to live an excited life and there is a way to truly celebrate.
  • Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks for what CHRIST has done for me.
  • Christmas is the celebration of the birth of JESUS and the beginning of salvation for humans.
  • New Years is a date in which I can leave the past in the past and look forward to GOD’s blessings.
  • Easter is the most sacred time in which I celebrate JESUS giving up HIS life for mine.
GOD wants me to remain “rooted” in HIM, “built up” in HIM and “strengthened” in HIM so my thankfulness will be overflowing. This enables me not to pout when I don’t get the gift I was looking for, yet still give to those who haven’t fully caught on to celebrating CHRIST.

My new tradition is to enjoy the season and help others do the same while remaining focused on my LORD and SAVIOR.
  • What traditions do you follow?
  • Have you ever asked “what does this have to do with GOD?”
  • Does every tradition have to be focused on GOD?
  • Are there any harmful traditions you follow that are taking you away from following GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment