Monday, November 22, 2010

Be thankful for one another.

1 Thessalonians 1:  2 We always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in our prayers. 3 We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

============

By six thirty A.M. my voicemail already had messages. After clearing them and walking around to greet my staff meetings began and lasted until early evening. With voicemail and e-mail full, I sat at my desk clearing away the work only to prepare for dinner, but not with my family.

Meanwhile at home, meals were being prepared, clothes cleaned and kids were going to school. Exhausted from work, I would sit around on weekends in the “presence” of my family only to be thinking about “that” meeting or presentation. All of my conversations were about work, never once asking “specific” questions about others lives or struggles. My first words outside of work were “why isn’t this place clean?”
  • When I am focused on “me” I am less thankful about others.
  • When my world is the center of attention then I forget what blessings GOD has given me.
  • When I look for something to always be wrong with people then I can’t see what’s right with them.
Thanksgiving is here and for many the holiday can be exciting, but for some it brings out some deep feelings of a painful year and unmet expectations. Depression sets in because the thought of unrealized dreams cloaks the seasons’ meaning. BUT GOD wants us to think differently.
  • Being thankful of GOD means I recognize HE “is” doing great things.
  • Being thankful of others means I recognize what “is” not what “isn’t.”
  • Being thankful of myself means I know my soul “is” in GOD’s hand and no one can pluck it out.
Paul, who also authored of this letter, wrote “it is great to be content in every situation.” He understood “things” come and go, but GOD’s love remains through thick and thin. My contentment needs to be based on what GOD “is” doing not on the false expectations I place on HIM or others.

It’s not always easy to be thankful of others because my judgment may be clouded, BUT GOD wants me to be thankful of HIM and others so I will take steps to get there.
  • Are you thankful of GOD and do you know HE “is” blessing you?
  • Are you truly thankful of your family or are you trying to get your way?
  • Can you stop worrying long enough to add GOD’s thankfulness to your day?
  • Can you drop your selfishness for one day and recognize the people and things you have to be thankful about?

No comments:

Post a Comment