Thursday, November 18, 2010

How to “be” friendly.

Colossians 4: 5 Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. 6 Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

============

“You’re too skinny” or “where did you find those clothes” or “do you own a comb” were the insults hurled at me as a child. After I grew up and learned to like myself, I became witty, sometimes a little too witty. People would gather around as I hurled insults at other folks as if it were a comedy routine.

The laughter ended when someone told me how hurt they were by my antics. Wow, I had become what I hated!
  • Any insult thrown at someone else is not pleasing to GOD.
  • Insulting language may be misinterpreted by an “outsider” which weakens my witness.
  • Complaints, bitter or harsh words will make an “outsider” miss GOD’s holiness inside me.
Laughter is acceptable when “everyone” agrees the joke is funny but an “outsider” may not know the nuances of the joke. GOD wants me to “make the most of every opportunity” to draw people to HIM.  I don’t think it means never laugh again, rather focus on getting to know this person just for a moment.
  • GOD wants me to have conversations that draw people to HIM.
  • GOD desires me to have words that show “grace” and “mercy” rather than insults.
  • GOD loves when my words are “seasoned with salt” which is just the right amount of HIS word.
People are watching me constantly. They listen to how I handle the irate and belligerent and watch to see if I will join into their rants. “Outsiders” could be people who may not know JESUS as their savior who need to see “grace” and wisdom. This is why HE wants me to make the most of “every” opportunity.

I have a choice, insult, complain, spit poison or show “grace” and use wise “salt seasoned” words. I now choose words that draw people to HIM instead of getting all the attention.
  • Do you insult other people to draw laughter?
  • Are you trying to mask your own faults by laughing at someone else?
  • Do you realize every insulting word you say may be misinterpreted by an “outsider?”
  • Can you get rid of complaints, bitterness, lying, and insults for at least one day?

No comments:

Post a Comment