Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I can tell I’m nervous because I’m selfish!

Philippians 2:  1 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

============

There my mind goes racing again at 3:00 A.M. wondering if I passed that exam or if that presentation went well or if I got my point across in the argument. Many a sleepless night I’ve faced because of worry, doubt and fear and it seems like I wake up at the same time.

Thought after thought comes racing to my mind over what I could have said or what they said or did. Is there any rest?

  • I think of something I want now it’s on my mind.
  • I convince myself I really want “what I want” now it’s in my heart.
  • I pray for the thing “I want” now I set the LORD up for possible failure.
  • I sometimes get disappointed by not getting “what I want”, now I pout and blame GOD.

One of the reasons I get angry or nervous is because I get frustrated over a situation that GOD is in control of.  Blame is hurled at GOD because I want “my way” and HE has another plan. Unfortunately I do the same things over and over. GOD has another way.
  • Unity in CHRIST makes me relax.
  • Unity in CHRIST enables me to show what love really is.
  • Unity in CHRIST comforts me in times of trouble.
  • Unity in CHRIST turns my hard heart tender.
  • Unity in CHRIST helps me show compassion.
Serving others occupies my “worry” time in ways that I can’t express. Each time I focus on serving someone else, I rest better. I also rest better when my ambitions are coupled with GOD.  HE tells me to do “nothing out of selfish ambition” which seems harsh at first, but makes sense.
  • When my ambitions are couple with GOD I can’t lose.
  • When my ambitions are couple with GOD I remain focused instead of worrying.
  • When my ambitions are couple with GOD my selfishness goes away and unity reigns.
Unity is the one thing GOD seeks out of every human and it’s up to me to take the first step.
  • Are you nervous?
  • Could it be possible that you are selfish right now?
  • What are you fighting about now?
  • Do you want to restore the relationship?
  • Can you take the first step towards reconciliation?

No comments:

Post a Comment