Titus 1: 15 To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted. 16 They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good.
“Church is so boring today” I thought to myself. I glanced outside and noticed some of the other kids walking down the street to the candy store. “What a great idea” I thought. The next week, I thought of my lie to get out of sitting in the sermon with my parents.
I took my offering money and went to the candy store. Unfortunately for me we lingered just a tad too long. When we arrived back at the church my parents were standing there waiting with “that” look on their face.
- When I make GOD common I treat HIM like HE is not supreme.
- When I make GOD common I pray out of habit not out of worship.
- When I make GOD common I give when I feel like it or for tax purposes.
- When I make GOD common I guess at HIS ways without learning them.
- When I make GOD common I prey on HIS humans for monetary or lustful gain.
There is a fine line between being extremely judgmental of others and honoring GOD in the way HE wants me to. The Pharisees made an extreme number of rules that by appearance seemed to be “worshipping GOD” when in reality they sought to be noticed and adored by their congregations for their religious prowess.
GOD is supreme, holy and requires us to view HIM as GOD, not as “the wish doctor.” HE isn’t something we turn to only in troubled times, rather HE is the one and only creator with extreme unmatched supernatural powers. HE is all seeing, all knowing, is everywhere and has always lived.
JESUS, who is GOD, became a human, was murdered and was raised from the dead. This simple fact deserves remembrance, sacred worship and should never be taken lightly. Unfortunately sometimes I think church is for me instead of bowing to my LORD and savior. GOD deserves reverence so I will attempt to do this without judging people around me.
- What way do you treat GOD special in your life?
- Do you set aside time to talk to HIM or learn about HIM?
- Do you brag to others about how good you are or can you let GOD be the judge of your actions?
- Can you elevate GOD and stop treating HIM as common in one area of your life today?