Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Am I a "good" example?

1 Timothy 4: 12 Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.

============

“Hmm… there are no cars in front of me and the light is about to turn green.” I looked to my left and then to the right and behind me, “all clear.” When the light changed I took off as if I were in a drag race against a worthy opponent when suddenly I heard a small voice. “Daddy, how fast are you going? Are you doing the speed limit?”

  • Whether people see me or not, I am always an example.
  • When I do good things, I am an example.
  • When I do wrong things, I am an example.
  • When I sit back and do nothing, I am an example.

People are always looking at me whether I like it or not. Judgment calls are being made constantly by the current example I am setting.

  • I have a choice to gossip about people or to speak encouraging words.
  • I have a choice to get revenge and start fights or to show kindness and love even when it hurts.
  • I have a choice to complain and tremble with fear or to pray for courage and believe GOD’s methods will work.
  • I have a choice to flirt at work and in public or to focus my attention on my wife.

It’s quite amazing how GOD can use very young people to accomplish HIS plans. My children accepted CHRIST at a very young age and I didn’t know this could happen. I have seen kids on difficult mission’s trips telling people about JESUS’s salvation. I found their “example” to be better than mine.

The world can be cold and difficult which causes people to become jaded and lose their faith. GOD can use those who are young and zealous for HIM to rejuvenate broken people. HE can use my excitement as a “good” example.

  • What kind of example are you setting?
  • Who do you think is watching you?
  • Would they say you are showing GOD’s love?
  • Are your words, actions, thoughts and faith focused on GOD?
  • Can you share the great news about JESUS with the reputation you have built for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment