Monday, December 20, 2010

I wanna be rich but I’m arrogant!

1 Timothy 6: 17 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.

18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. 19 In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

============

While working at one of the worlds most recognized companies we gathered at lunch sneering at those who had been recently let go from their jobs. “I guess they couldn’t cut the mustard or I’m glad ‘that’ person is gone” I thought to myself.


Years later there was another round of reductions and this time it was at ‘my’ level. I was being sneered at and felt the ridicule.  I actually think I overheard someone whisper “I guess he couldn’t cut the mustard.”

  • Arrogance equals pride.
  • The one thing GOD cannot stand is pride or arrogance.
  • Arrogance leads me to treat GOD’s humans in a rotten fashion.
  • Arrogance makes me have false confidence in myself and my wealth.
  • Arrogance causes me to ask the question “who are ‘you’ in a condescending way?”
  • Arrogance generates the desire for me to be viewed as the one in control, not the one in need.
I found out the hard way that wealth ‘is’ uncertain and I should not put my hope in it. I also found out what it meant to be ‘truly’ wealthy.
  • To be truly wealthy is to be generous no matter what state of wealth I’m in.
  • To be truly wealthy is to focus my wealth on others not on myself.
  • To be truly wealthy is to interact with those in need instead of giving mainly to large causes.
  • To be truly wealthy is to remain quiet about my wealth but loud about GOD’s promise of eternity.
GOD doesn’t mind blessing me with earthly wealth in fact one could argue that HE made humans with wealth in mind. Unfortunately it’s my arrogance that HE can’t quite get past. GOD wants a humble rich person to serve HIM but arrogance gets in the way. I guess that’s why HE said “it will be difficult for rich people to go to heaven.”

I want to be “rich” but in GOD’s way which includes generosity, the ability to lose everything and numerous ‘good deeds.’
  • Do you consider yourself wealthy?
  • If not, then have you considered all of the gadgets, clothes and a place to lay your head wealth?
  • Are you generous with your wealth?
  • Can you start giving to others today no matter what state of wealth you are in?

No comments:

Post a Comment