Friday, February 11, 2011

Do what I say, not what I do!

James 1: 22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

============

“Clean up this mess!” “The clothes should be washed!” “Why is this pile on the floor?” These are statements I have barked at my family that have, at times, fallen on deaf ears. “Why aren’t they doing this” I wondered.

Well maybe it’s because I had never touched the washing machine, my pile while little, was still on the floor and the garage and office had junk piled to my chin. Maybe it was my bark or heavy hand. Maybe it was my example.

  • People are always watching me and I am always an example.
  • People notice when I do “opposite” of GOD more than what I do for HIM.
  • People watch what I do “more” than listen to what I say.

“Doing” what GOD says is not always easy because I have a selfish nature that wants it my way. GOD has some difficult lessons that eradicate sin from my life and puts HIM in charge.  HIS lessons of grace and love are a hard pill to swallow when I want to “win” the argument or get revenge on “that” person.

GOD wants me to believe in HIM, learn HIS Bible, show love to everyone and sin less and less all while controlling the thought that I have control over GOD and circumstances. Whew! Just the thought of this gets me tired! But there is an easier way to think about it.

  • GOD has declared me holy so my service is a celebration not a duty.
  • GOD has blessed me daily so it’s up to me to recognize HIS blessings.
  • GOD has given me clear directions on what to do so I must study “and” put HIS word into action.

I can tell when I’m not showing enough “faith,” “grace,” “mercy” and “love” to my family because arguments flare up, fear sets in and poisonous tongues lash out. By “doing” what GOD says, people can actually see the reality of GOD’s love through my life.

  • Have you taken a good look at yourself?
  • Are you following what GOD says or are you just merely spouting out scripture?
  • Is there an area of your life that could be changed just for GOD?
  • Can you make a “small” change in your life to become a better example of GOD today?

No comments:

Post a Comment