Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I must watch what I say.

James 3:  9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.

============

“Wow, I’m running behind. Let’s see, do I have everything I need for this important meeting?” I thought to myself while driving. Then “she” got in the way. She was the driver who had nowhere to go and no time to be there. She stopped at every stop sign and obeyed the speed limit to the letter. She inadvertently turned on her signal a couple of times only to turn it off and stay in my way.

When she finally turned, I screamed “you idiot!” and I sped off. My kids, who were in the back seat, heard me and they stared with a surprised shocked look on their face. I guess my lesson of “be nice to people” wasn’t valid anymore.
  • I say the worse things about others when I only think of myself.
  • I say the worse things about others when I am trying to make them lose.
  • I say the worse things about others when I have poison in my heart.
Teaching people about GOD should be accompanied with a gentle tongue but if my heart is filled with impatience, lust, greed or junk, then that’s what will come out of my mouth. In my selfishness I can say the wrong things which do not draw people to GOD.

  • My heart for others has to change otherwise it will spew out garbage.
  • I must view “every” human as GOD’s instead of thinking they are an inconvenience.
  • My thoughts must be trained to focus on GOD so my actions and reactions follow HIS ways.

It takes practice to have patience with people, especially when I have practiced impatience for so long BUT GOD is willing to clean the junk out of my heart and use it for HIS purpose. It takes GOD to keep my tongue focused on encouragement and praise!
  • What is in your heart?
  • Are you constantly saying how others are doing things wrong?
  • Do you complain, curse or coerce others?
  • Can you encourage someone today?
  • Do you have a compliment or praise for people or are you constantly picking fights?

No comments:

Post a Comment