Friday, February 18, 2011

I want a better life!

James 4: 7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

============

While standing on the outside of the conversation, I listened intently as a few people in my meeting were discussing cars during our break. “Which will you buy” was the question. “The top of the line Mercedes” was the answer. At that time the cost of the car was literally more than my mortgage.

Something came over me. Was it lust or envy? I don’t know but I felt determined to be on the other side of that conversation stating the type of fancy car I was buying. “Maybe I should become more ruthless” I thought to myself.

Quarreling and fighting is where I end up because I can’t satisfy my lusts. In this world of pleasure seeking I wanted the best so I convinced myself that taking “that” person down was the right thing to do. If I could just get my way then I could get that promotion and then I can get all the “stuff” I crave.
  • You desire but do not have, so you kill.
  • You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight.
  • You do not have because you do not ask God.
  • When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.
GOD knows my motives for temporarily “being good” are to get out of my trials just to get back into my lusts. In times of plenty I could care less about serving GOD rather I seek to get the latest gadget or toy. BUT GOD wants more.
  • GOD wants me to submit to HIS ways, timing and circumstances.
  • HE desires that I resist the Devil’s "temptations to take my eyes off of GOD" and stop fulfilling my lusts.
  • GOD wants me to take one step toward HIM and HE will run towards me.
  • HE desires that I wash my hands and clean up my act so I can be a good example of HIM.
  • GOD wants me to take my heart and focus it on HIM.
Material things are fine and wealth is never a problem with GOD. The desire to become wealthy and remain wealthy is the thing that gets in HIS way. I wind up mistreating GOD’s humans in order to get a “better life” for myself. HE wants me to focus my attention, desires and wealth on HIM because HE has much more for me.
  • What material thing do you crave?
  • Would you lie, cheat, steal or slander for it?
  • Can you focus some of your desires on giving to or serving GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment