Thursday, February 3, 2011

I want discipline in my life.

Hebrews 12: 7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? 8 If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all.

------------
11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

============

“Slam, click” were the sounds that proceeded our first and probably only argument. My friend and roommate would open his door to put things away. Since we had constant visitors, he would lock his closet during each interval.  I was lazily trying to catch that extra five minutes of sleep when I heard “slam, click.”

“Why don’t you keep your door open” I said from my lazy perspective. “Why don’t you put some of your stuff away” he said to me. I looked around at the piles and thought, maybe he was right.

  • I really don’t like a disciplined life.
  • I like living wild and free.
  • I want to be as lazy as I can be so I desire wealth to have others do my work.
I never considered trials and tribulations a source of training me. I just thought they were irritating circumstances that I wanted to get out of.  When I was younger, it seemed like the circumstances were fewer and further between, now they seem to come regularly.
  • GOD uses hard times to get my attention.
  • GOD uses hard times to correct my path.
  • GOD uses hard times train me in compassion for others.
  • GOD uses hard times to show me what JESUS went through.
Hard times are very hard to swallow, but I must recognize that GOD is working on me to become a better servant. It actually takes discipline to be the servant GOD wants me to be.
  • I need discipline to serve people when I don’t feel like it.
  • I need discipline to love people who I think deserve punishment.
  • I need discipline to give when I don’t have anything to give.
  • I need discipline to try to learn about GOD instead of constantly seeking entertainment for myself.
Disciplined people tend to achieve their goals and I have always admired their training. GOD puts circumstances in my life that require me to use spiritual “muscles” like love, compassion, empathy and kindness. The longer the trial, the stronger my muscles grow.
  • Are you going through a trial?
  • Could it be that GOD is training you for something greater?
  • Can you accept your trials and seek how GOD is maturing you in faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment