Monday, February 14, 2011

Prejudiced? Yeah that’s me!

James 2: 1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

============

When the train arrived everyone was focused on getting to work. An ocean of business people flooded downtown focused on the day’s meetings and events. A group of homeless people waited near the train station. “I’ve seen this guy before” I thought to myself. “Why doesn’t he get a job and why does he have new expensive gym shoes? I’m not giving him any money!”

  • Prejudging someone is always wrong.
  • Prejudging someone implies I know better than that person.
  • Prejudging someone is an easy way for me to shirk my GODLY responsibilities of getting to know the person.

Prejudging people was my defense mechanism. I looked at their wealth, title and position in society and made judgment calls about them because I wanted to be wealthy like them or protect myself from giving to them depending on what they wore.

Treating people inconsistently is truly a problem with GOD.  HE wants us to treat every human with respect, dignity and love. HE doesn’t want us to laugh at the poor and praise the wealthy. GOD wants me to see HIS humans as HE does.

  • Every human is a creation of GOD.
  • GOD delivers some humans to me for the purpose of me showing HIS love.
  • No matter what status a human has placed on another human, GOD is still over all.

It actually takes practice to treat everyone the same because of wounds or past unfair actions. BUT GOD wants me to erase my memory and take each person on a case by case basis.  I should serve in all countries, languages and social standings because I can never tell how my kind actions can positively affect the person.

  • Have you ever prejudged someone?
  • Do you make snap decisions about people based on what you see?
  • Can you get to know a person who you wouldn’t normally interact?
  • Will you serve someone today without prejudging them?

No comments:

Post a Comment