2 John 1: 5 And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another. 6 And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.
Love has always been a very confusing topic to me. The term has been used for sex, political stances and minimal pleasures. “Let’s make love” was the sex talk way back when, “Make love not war” were on signs held up in protest of the nation going to war and “I love this movie or candy bar” is an example of indulgence.
- Lust can never fill the hole that’s in my heart.
- Politics can never satisfy my craving of being wanted and needed.
- Food, hobbies, sports and entertainment is only temporary and too much of a good thing becomes boring.
Let’s face it, people are difficult to “love” the way GOD defines love because they are so different. They have different opinions than I do; they look, smell and act differently. They have different amounts of money and were raised differently. Their problems are different than mine and they would never understand what I’m going through.
- GOD wants me to “Love” people as an act not a feeling.
- GOD wants me to “plan” my love for people who are difficult for me to love.
- GOD wants me to “sacrifice” getting my way some of the time in order to show love.
I guess it’s all in how I view people. When I look at people from a selfish perspective then they are always wrong and I am always right, but when I look at people through GOD’s eyes, I can only see a need for compassion.
GOD sees how pitiful I am, yet HE died for me and now that HE has been raised by the FATHER, I can share in HIS eternal love. This one act of unconditional love helps me drop my guard in loving others. To serve is to love and to love is to serve.
- Do you feel loved?
- Can you show someone what GOD’s love looks like?
- Will you serve someone who does not deserve to be served today?