Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Don’t just say it, do it!

1 John 3: 16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. 17 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

============

“Wow, I look pretty good” I thought to myself as I strutted down the street in my new suit headed to work. “I bet everyone in the office will notice since they are very fashion conscience.” Then a homeless person approached me. I looked at him, smelled the wine extruding from his pores and thought “No Way!”

I quickly bypassed the guy only to run into a homeless woman. My wallet was all the way in my briefcase and I only carried twenties so I quickly passed her as well because I have to eat lunch later. Would you believe I saw four or five more homeless people on the way to work that day. “What’s going on, a hobo convention?”
  • My heart on material possessions can quickly blind me to others needs.
  • My heart on material possessions makes me fight to keep them instead of thinking about serving people.
  • My heart on material possessions helps me justify getting in debt to get "what I want", "when I want it" thus never being in the position to share my wealth with the poor.
I used to see the donation commercial with the baby with flies crawling on its face as being a sad situation. “Aw, someone should do something about that” I would think to myself as I turned away to search for something better on my “cable TV.”  GOD wants much more out of me.
  • The love of GOD in my heart enables me to have compassion on the poor, helpless and homeless.
  • The love of GOD in my heart makes me notice people in need.
  • The love of GOD in my heart helps me do without that gadget, suit or even a meal or two so I can serve others.
  • The love of GOD in my heart “is” GOD helping HIS people and doing something about it through me but only if I am willing to serve.
It’s amazing what I can do without and it’s even more amazing how many people are in need right up under my nose. I never noticed people in need until I started serving them. If you think being homeless is bad, try seeing a homeless person in a country where there is NO FOOD or shelter for miles. GOD loves these people and wants me to serve them.
  • Have you thought about buying the next thing?
  • Are you scared of running out of money if you give to someone?
  • Can you buy that thing later and give to someone in need right now?
  • Do you know it’s alright to have material possessions as long as you have a heart of sharing?
  • Can you share your wealth, no matter how small, with someone in need today?

No comments:

Post a Comment